What's new

iPhone 4S in Recovery Loop...

Boxa

Reaction score
Hi there all & I'll try to cut to the chase...
Went to upgrade my JB 4S to 6.0.1 and I've ended up in a recovery loop which I cannot get out of.
I have triad all I can think of TU, RedSnow (says a simple recovery fix has been applied and a more comprehensive one isn't available yet) etc but no joy.
I am no techy by any means, but from the extensive reading around I have done, I am tending to get the impression that I am pretty much done for re my phone, or at least for the time being.
AM I right???
Many thanks in advance,
Boxa.

If you have mobile supatrate try holding volume up while booting up. Or if that does not work, try plug in it pc and leave it for 15 min.

Hi there,
at last I've cracked it, here's what I did.
First of all I opened the latest Redsnow application. Then I held the up volume button and then the power button & Home button until I got a blank screen.
At this stage, I clicked on "Even More" on the first page of Redsnow and then "Restore" on the next page. I then clicked on "IPSW" and used the firmware version I was after (5.1.1 in my case) and also elected to use the "Use remote blobs for restore".
From there the rest was done for me.
I think I had to use the up volume button to kind of 'turn the phone off' but to be honest with you all, I cannot remember whether I had tried that before without the volume button or not, so it may work without or may not (I have tried so many things today my head is just spinning)
Anyway, thought I'd share that with you in case anyone else has a similar problem.
I am well made up, especially as a few forums indicated that it couldn't be done.
Good luck anyone who has a similar encounter.
Boxa.

willerz2 said:
The 4S has no jailbreak, so you won't have mobilesubstrate anyways

The 4s has a JB, just not for ios6. It sounds like the op was JB and wanted to update to the new iOS. at which point you are correct in that there is no JB.

The way he worded it, I'm interpreting it as him upgrading to 6.0.1 and it went into recovery loop AFTER the upgrae

willerz2 said:
The way he worded it, I'm interpreting it as him upgrading to 6.0.1 and it went into recovery loop AFTER the upgrae

Sorry. After reading more of your posts, I see that you are well versed in the ways of apple. :)

Hi there,
just to let you know what had happened...
I had already JB my 4s and did the right thing by ignoring the new upgrade to 6.0.1. Got back from the pub on Saturday after watching the footy and rugby and thought it'd be a good idea to see what the new upgrade was like. In the process of trying to upgrade (not linked to the computer, just using the phone) it went into the recovery loop and I just couldn't get out of it. I had a read around and some forums were saying (as I do not think I am the only one who has done this) that I would have to wait for some new kind of tweak to be found (can't remember what) and that this may be a long way off, if at all. I was just beginning to give up hope when I managed to sort is as described above.
The reason for me trying that way was because I found my main problem was that the phone would never switch off, only a very temporary restart and then back to the dreaded usb lead screen thingy. However, I had read about the volume up button and noticed that when I did this I got a blank screen permanently. I therefore assumed my phone was now turned off and gave the procedure a go as above... I was mega lucky.
I suppose the moral of the story is do not play around with your JB phone if you have had a skinful lunchtime :) (oh, and don't upgrade yet either)
Cheers all,
Boxa

I have an iPhone 4s that was previously jailbroken with ios 5.0.1. I tried upgrading to IOS 6 until my phone went into the recovery loop. I tried to do everything Boxa did but I had no luck. I just want to restore the phone back to a fresh copy of IOS 6 as I'm currently with no phone. I tried Tiny Umbrella, and redsn0w. I tried kicking it out of recovery mode and that didn't work. I tried manually restoring it thru with extras options like Boxa pointed out with remote blob option and no luck. I know this is just a software issue that I'm having, any help will be appreciated it.

Thanks!

I figured it out. I only had this is in my host file#74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com and didn't have this line #127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com. For future reference you must have both.