What's new

Iphone 4S help please

marcalhon

Reaction score
Hi there, I have a Iphone 4s with IOS 5.1.1, modem 2.0.12, and it's jailbreaked

I was trying to save SHSH via tinyumbrella, but there just says that my iphone has 6.0.1 (Check attached please) $16-01-2013 11-20-06.jpg

So, my basic question is Can I update to IOS 6.0.1 with no problems.

Do you advise me to do that?

Thanks in advance

You won't need SHSH's to update to 6.0.1 since it's the latest iOS version available for the 4S. I should note, though, that 6.0.1 cannot be Jailbroken on the 4S yet.

You won't need SHSH's to update to 6.0.1 since it's the latest iOS version available for the 4S. I should note, though, that 6.0.1 cannot be Jailbroken on the 4S yet.

Thanks for your reply but what do you advise should
I update? I do not use jailbreak

What Justin said. Because the iOS is still being signed, the SHSH blobs for the iOS are saved on Apple's servers, so you won't need to manually retrieve them when updating using iTunes, so you won't have to stitch an IPSW and such if that's what you're trying to avoid :p

What Justin said. Because the iOS is still being signed, the SHSH blobs for the iOS are saved on Apple's servers, so you won't need to manually retrieve them when updating using iTunes, so you won't have to stitch an IPSW and such if that's what you're trying to avoid :p

So you advise me to update is that? I won't have any problems updating?

There won't be any extensive shortcoming problems for now. Make sure that before you restore, end the TinyUmbrella and iTunes processes (if applicable), remove any gs.apple.com lines in your host file, delete the Host.Umbrella file, and flush your DNS before restoring. Otherwise you'll be thrown with 3194 errors.

There won't be any extensive shortcoming problems for now. Make sure that before you restore, end the TinyUmbrella and iTunes processes (if applicable), remove any gs.apple.com lines in your host file, delete the Host.Umbrella file, and flush your DNS before restoring. Otherwise you'll be thrown with 3194 errors.

Thanks for the reply but did not understood very well

For updating isn't just click on update via itunes? I just want that, nothing else

Not on a jailbroken device. It's recommended that whether or not your device is stock or jailbroken that you restore using DFU mode.

Not on a jailbroken device. It's recommended that whether or not your device is stock or jailbroken that you restore using DFU mode.

Thanks for the reply but I'm a litle bit lost ...
I have iphone 4s with JB and ios 5.1.1

If I connect to itunes and click on update, will i be able to update with no problems or not?

Just by clicking on Update, I would say there's a higher chance of getting an error or problem than not.

Just by clicking on Update, I would say there's a higher chance of getting an error or problem than not.

So, can you please explain me how to do it? And in your opinion, is it a good thing to do for me, the update? Or shall I leave it as it is?

Updating is up to you. If you're not into jailbreaking, updating the iOS gives you the iOS 6 stock features like Personal Hotspot, Passbook, etc etc. To put your device into DFU mode, turn your device on, plug it into your PC and have it load to the springboard. Hold both the power and home buttons for 10 seconds. After 10 seconds, release the power button but continue to hold the home button until your computer recognizes an unknown peripheral. iTunes will recognize the device as in Recovery Mode. If the screen on your iPhone is black, then you did it correctly. If it has the Connect to iTunes screen, just hold the power and home button for 10 seconds again, release the the power button and continue to hold the home button until your computer recognizes it again, and that the device is in DFU mode. Just keep repeating this until it's in DFU mode. The initial attempt I would recommend being on the springboard. If you mess it up, doing it in the Connect to iTunes screen also works.

After your device is in DFU mode, shift+click Restore in iTunes and point it to the iOS 6.0.1 IPSW that you've downloaded for your 4S. Let it restore.

Thanks a lot, I think I got it, I just need to put it in DFU mode and then, I can update via itunes

Yes. If you get any errors, come back with the error number and message and we'll see if we can get you back on your feet again