What's new

iPhone 4s battery issue update

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are one of the many people that have upgraded to the iPhone 4S, you may have been experiencing some issues with your battery. Since the release of the iPhone 4S, many users have been complaining and trying to look for a way to resolve the issue while others have contemplated switching back to an older iOS device until Apple resolves the issue. It appears that a fix has been found though, all you have to do is: turn your Setting Time Zone switch to OFF in the Settings > Location Services > System Services (at the bottom of the page).

What has been noticed by many is that when you switch this feature OFF, the standby time has gone up significantly. After testing this on an iPhone 4S, the new iPhone only lost 5% of its total battery life. The tip originally stems from Oliver Haslam, who noted that the bug likely lives inside iOS 5 and not necessarily within the iPhone 4S hardware. The Setting Time Zone ends up tracking constantly instead of periodically, causing the battery time to be severely cut down. According to Haslam, the folks over at iDownloadblog ran some tests as well and saw the same result.

We have tested this method on 4 different iPhone 4s handsets, including an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 3GS. All have reported drastically improved battery life after switching Setting Time Zone off.
The only downside to switching the Setting Time Zone function off is the automatic resetting of your time if you end up crossing the barrier into a different time zone. Changing the setting is a small sacrifice to make for convenience in terms of battery life.

If you have tried it already, what has your experience been with it so far? If you haven to give it a shot, come back, and let us know afterward!

Source: The Guardian via iDownloadBlog

Last edited:
Would you please explain what the garbled bits in your post are supposed to say?

If location service is OFF then everything else will be off.

Post was edited and garbage was removed, sorry I copied the news from the source and came thru like that.

Thank you.

Hmm. My location services have been on since I got my 4S two weeks ago. I noticed that battery life might be slightly shorter than in my 4, but my 4S battery life hasn't been too bad. I wonder if there's some combination of settings and uses (along with location services) that sucks up battery life.

I can go on one charge for two days on average, with the exception of the first couple of days of Siri novelty goofing around. Maybe some people are using Siri a lot? I haven't found much use for it.

Thank you.

Hmm. My location services have been on since I got my 4S two weeks ago. I noticed that battery life might be slightly shorter than in my 4, but my 4S battery life hasn't been too bad. I wonder if there's some combination of settings and uses (along with location services) that sucks up battery life.

I can go on one charge for two days on average, with the exception of the first couple of days of Siri novelty goofing around. Maybe some people are using Siri a lot? I haven't found much use for it.

I think there is definitely a battery because as Apple identified the issue and mention that they are working on it. On top of that as many of us do with the new toys or features we tent to use more the electronic gadget and that will make this be a more significant problem. I know it will be fix because it is on Apple best interest and as always they will make it right for us.

Unless you like receiving adverts I would turn the local iAds off as well. This may help battery life as well.

Unless you like receiving adverts I would turn the local iAds off as well. This may help battery life as well.

Where is iAds? I checked, but don't have it among my settings. But I'm not getting any ads, so maybe it's not activated by default?

Where is iAds? I checked, but don't have it among my settings. But I'm not getting any ads, so maybe it's not activated by default?

You can turn iAds on or off at Settings>Location Services>System Services(at bottom of page)>Location-Based iAds>Slide to off

You can turn iAds on or off at Settings>Location Services>System Services(at bottom of page)>Location-Based iAds>Slide to off

Thanks! Ads now set to off.

I've left Location Services on, because I've not had battery probs. But I'm glad to hear Apple is working on a fix, because maybe I'll get even better battery life.

There's another option there; "Traffic". What traffic is this? Can it safely be turned off also? Would turning it off help reduce battery drain?

I would like to know what "traffic" is all about as well? I have mine turned off.

I am pretty sure "traffic" is the local traffic in your area - like on the freeways and such :)

Take care,
Rob

I think that one of the new iOS 5 features possibly causing battery drain on the iPhone is having any Reminders with the options "When I arrive at" or "When I leave" enabled.

They keep the GPS arrow in the top right corner 100% of the time, surely that must drain the battery.

I have removed the two Reminders I had with "When I arrive at" and "When I leave" and I think, but am not certain, that that has somewhat reduced my battery drain.

Could someone else who has been using "When I arrive at" or "When I leave" in their Reminders try removing them to see if they find it makes a difference?

I turned Setting Time Zone switch off yesterday. Today it does seem like I'm getting more life out of the battery. I'll have to use it that way for a few days to get a better reading.