What's new

iPhone 4s battery issue update

mhawk said:
You can turn iAds on or off at Settings>Location Services>System Services(at bottom of page)>Location-Based iAds>Slide to off

Hey thanks for this tip! Didn't even know these settings were there! Not having a major issue with battery really but noticed that on a trip from Thailand to Melbourne with BF who has my old 3GS, his phone lasted a lot longer than mine!! I'm sure apple will fix. I recall a similar issue with the 3GS in the beginning!

There's another option there; "Traffic". What traffic is this? Can it safely be turned off also? Would turning it off help reduce battery drain?

In the maps app, if you swipe up on the lower left corner (like flipping up a corner), your phone will reveal another layer. One option on that layer is hiding or showing traffic. So if you're on the freeway, for example, it will indicate by colors whether sections are congested. (Shows better during rush hour, unless there's a lot of traffic wherever you are at other times, or there's a wreck or construction.)

If you don't care about that feature, you can turn it off.

I like it, especially if I'm suddenly stuck in unexpected freeway traffic; I can get an idea from the feature how much congestion there is.

I don't know whether this feature works in all countries.

I think that one of the new iOS 5 features possibly causing battery drain on the iPhone is having any Reminders with the options "When I arrive at" or "When I leave" enabled.

They keep the GPS arrow in the top right corner 100% of the time, surely that must drain the battery.

I have removed the two Reminders I had with "When I arrive at" and "When I leave" and I think, but am not certain, that that has somewhat reduced my battery drain.

Could someone else who has been using "When I arrive at" or "When I leave" in their Reminders try removing them to see if they find it makes a difference?

Interesting. I don't use reminders, so maybe that's why I haven't noticed much battery drainage. I also haven't been using Siri. I noticed that none of my apps are showing the gray arrow that indicates whether location services have been used in the past 24 hours.

It seems like it's safe for me to leave location services on. By happenstance, I'm not using many location-based apps, which seems to drive the battery drain.

Ok so last night turned off the iAds "feature" and bang today instead of getting up at 6pm and coming home at 7pm with 30% battery. I came home with 85%!!! Same usage:- iPod to and from work for 40 mins each way and on and off throughout the work day. Phone calls and texts, emails etc. happy with the result. Actually performing better than the 3GS was !!