What's new

iPhone 4 stuck in recovery mode after update

Toerq

Reaction score
Hi,

I jailbroke my iphone 4 two years ago on iOS 5.0.1. However, I felt that I didnt need the jailbreak anymore so recently, I (stupidly) decided to update to 7.0.6 (or something) through the phone.

I am now stuck in recovery mode though.
When I try to update through itunes, it downloads 5.1.1 (GSM) so I guess that is the .ipsw that I should restore to.

Things I have tried:
1. Restoring while in the itunes-logo-mode (apple servers did not like this).
2. Restoring in DFU mode. This gives me error 3194 (Apple's server disallows old firmware installation)
3. I have also tried manipulating the hosts file with no luck.
4. Restoring while running a TSS server on tinyumbrella.

Is there anything more I can try or is my phone forever dead?
Thanks in forehand.

Moderation Notice: External links have been removed by iPhoneForums staff in accordance with Forum Rules. Please review our rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you have blobs for a certain firmware, the only iOS you can upgrade to is iOS 7.1.1 - the most current firmware Apple is signing.

Nothing will get you around this ... unless you have blobs saved.

Marilyn

Unless you have blobs for a certain firmware, the only iOS you can upgrade to is iOS 7.1.1 - the most current firmware Apple is signing.

Nothing will get you around this ... unless you have blobs saved.

Marilyn

When I try to restore to 7.1.1, I get the message "The iphone could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible".
I dont have any blobs either. Is my phone forever dead?

I get this error even though its the GSM version and I have downloaded that one.

Last edited:
When I try to restore to 7.1.1, I get the message "The iphone could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible".
I dont have any blobs either. Is my phone forever dead?

I get this error even though its the GSM version and I have downloaded that one.

I'd make sure that you have the proper GSM IPSW. The iPhone 4 has the original GSM model (iPhone3,1) as well as a World or Revised version (iPhone3,2).

Here's the iPhone3,1_7.1.1 and here's the iPhone3,2_7.1.1. I'd suggest download the one that you don't already have and try that. Or, run iTunes as an administrator if you're in Windows.