What's new

Iphone 4 some questions.

jockmcd

Reaction score
I have an iphone 4 which has been jailbroken ( not over the air ) running 6.1(10b144)

What is the latest ios my phone will update to via iTunes, i.e if I plug it in to my pc and want to update what will it take me to.

Can I jailbreak it after updating it to latest ios ? ( with it being already jailbroken )

What software would I use to do an untethered jailbreak on this device on the latest ios ?

I have an iphone 4 which has been jailbroken ( not over the air ) running 6.1(10b144)

What is the latest ios my phone will update to via iTunes, i.e if I plug it in to my pc and want to update what will it take me to.

Can I jailbreak it after updating it to latest ios ? ( with it being already jailbroken )

What software would I use to do an untethered jailbreak on this device on the latest ios ?
The latest iOS version you can update the iPhone 4 to is iOS 7.1.2, which is jailbreakable with the Pangu jailbreak.
After upgrading, your iPhone will no longer be jailbroken but will be running iOS 7.1.2.

This thread describes the various jailbreaks, including the Pangu jailbreak and has links to get the jailbreak software for Windows or Mac computers. http://www.iphoneforums.net/threads/the-can-i-jailbreak-my-iphone-on-ios-x-x-x-thread.51577/

Last edited:
So it's as simple as just upgrade to 7.1.2 then JB with Pangu.
Is there only one version of Pangu ?
Sounds nice and easy ;-)

So it's as simple as just upgrade to 7.1.2 then JB with Pangu.
Is there only one version of Pangu ?
Sounds nice and easy ;-)
There's only one legitimate version of the Pangu jailbreak, which we link to in the thread I linked to. There are fake jailbreak sites out there that are designed to look like the real one.

Thank you Sci :)

Just a couple more questions.

Im no good really with itunes, when i plug phone into my pc to update to 7.1.2 do i just press upgrade and back up.

I would lime to start from the start again so presuming I have everything of my phone can you tell me what steps I should take to upgrade my phone to 7.1.2 making it a fresh phone, this would be really realt helpful to me, Ive had iphones for years now and this bit always get me ;-)

Thank you mate really appreciate your help :)

I read the link you linked me to Pangu and have downloaded it but I read on the top that page the following ?

If you are currently jailbroken, please install Apple Conduit File 2 (AFC2add by Saurik), MobileTerminal, OpenSSH and ILEX RAT.

Why do I have to install these apps from cydia ? Will my phone not upgrade to ios7.1.2 properly if I do not install them ?

If you follow the tutorial I linked to, it will upgrade your iPhone to iOS 7.1.2 and remove the jailbreak. You would then be using Pangu to jailbreak a phone that was not currently jailbroken.

So I cannot just update to 7.1.2 from my jailbroken iphone as it is, I thought you said I could and it would erase the jailbreak anyway? Im comfused now and all thise steps look complicated to me lol, can i simply update to 7.1.2 from my jb phone as it is now and then install pangu ?

So I cannot just update to 7.1.2 from my jailbroken iphone as it is, I thought you said I could and it would erase the jailbreak anyway? Im comfused now and all thise steps look complicated to me lol, can i simply update to 7.1.2 from my jb phone as it is now and then install pangu ?
You can update to iOS 7.1.2 from your jailbroken phone. It's just that the process of updating will remove your existing jailbreak. Once the update is complete, then you can rejailbreak using Pangu.

*snip* If you are currently jailbroken, please install Apple Conduit File 2 (AFC2add by Saurik), MobileTerminal, OpenSSH and ILEX RAT. *snip*

To tack on a little, this step is only recommended for devices that have iOS 8 support, and at the time of creating the thread, it was uncertain whether iOS 7.1.2 would break the jailbreak, or if an iOS 7.1.3 or 7.2 variant would be released that would break the jailbreak at any time, so it was recommended that users install them.

Since we're talking about the iPhone 4, it's not 100% necessary to install ILEX RAT since if anything goes wrong, you can always restore back to 7.1.2 stock, then rejailbreak, but for newer devices, they'll be forced onto iOS 8 once the 7.1.2 window closes.

OpenSSH, MobileTerminal and AFC2add are recommended regardless of device type, as they're commonly used utilities that can be used for file transfer and troubleshooting your device if anything goes wrong. If you're not one to use iTunes for media transfer, you can use OpenSSH or AFC2add to drag-and-drop files from your computer to your device through a USB cable.

Sci thank you for al the help ;-)

Willerz your not tacking on mate, you have came in and helped and I appreciate that greatly, I now see I do not need to install these programs until I have rejailbroken my iphone the way it was worded on the thread I thought I had to install them to uninstall jailbreak :-0
So on that note Im one step closer to jailbreaking just need to get the important stuff off my phone, done most of but how do I get my saved notes of my phone ?

Hi guys thank you again phone is now JB with Pangu, awesome, I very happy :)

I also have an Ipad that says the newest ios would update to ios8 my questions would be ?

Do we know if there is going to be an ios8 JB anytime soon ?
If there will be 1 at all ?
I am running 6.1 on my ipad just now should I update to 7.1.2 somehow and if I can how do I do it ?
Or just wait for ios8 JB as it may be around soon ?

Thank you.

Al.

It's possible to restore to iOS 7.1.2 since it's still being signed. Just download the IPSW for the iPad's generation and type, and Shift/Command + Click the Restore button in iTunes and point iTunes to it.

Team Pangu stated that they have exploits set aside for it, though one of them may be the PDF Safari vulnerability just like the one used by JailbreakMe. But the chances of an iOS 8 jailbreak coming out is fairly high considering the activity of Pangu is a bit higher than that of Evad3rs.