What's new

iPhone 4 Screen Discoloration Fix

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
defectiveretina.jpg

We reported yesterday that some iPhone 4 users have claimed to have a yellow discoloration located beneath the screen. Today a member of the Apple Insider Forums explains the reasoning behind this along with a solution, waiting it out!

Apple is using a bonding agent called Organofunctional Silane Z-6011 to bond the layers of glass. Apparently, Apple (or more likely Foxconn) is shipping these products so quickly that the evaporation process is not complete. However, after one or two days of use, especially with the screen on, will complete the evaporation process and the yellow “blotches” will disappear.

How do I know? I was involved in pitching Z-6011 to Apple.

Source: AppleInsider.com

Hopefully the "freaking out" about this is much ado about nothing.

thats pretty early to be having these problems. hard to notice i bet as well

hmm... sort of like those tiny bubbles that will disappear in the three + days following installation of window tinting on your car... depending on the sun exposure, of course. Keep those screens hummin'... or, I suppose short bursts under a sun lamp... just kidding.

I had color discoloration like that too in my iphone 4 but apple was charging 200$ to replace the screen. Seems unfair since I didn't drop it or anything. May be caused by excessive heat. Talked to a dude that works for the Revive Guys, The Revive Guys Computer Repair Daphne, mobile, fairhope, Alabama if interested, and they replaced it in about 30 minutes for $150. Better than 200 but Apple should have replaced it for free.