What's new

iPhone 4 - Proximity Sensor Problems

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iphone-4-dad.jpg

Lately most of the news concerning iPhone 4 issues have been focused on the "death grip" and reception problems. The iPhone 4 Proximity Sensor is a growing concern as well. The device's proximity sensors designed to sense when the phone is held up to the user's face and deactivate the device's screen, thus preventing unintended activation of buttons on the display. According to MacWorld here's the solution:

Many affected users report that either a Settings reset or a hard reboot fixes their problem. One Apple support thread recommends that users open the Settings app, then go to General -> Reset, and choose "All Settings" at the top (note: this will not erase your apps, media, or other data -- that's what the "Erase All Content and Settings" button just below this option is for. "Reset All Settings" just reverts any Settings preferences you've customized back to their factory defaults). One Twitter follower, Brian Partridge, reported that AppleCare told him to just use Reset -> Reset Network Settings, not all settings, and it worked.

After reading this article, I noticed the problem over the last few days and it has become quite annoying. Let us know if this fix works for you.

Source: MacWorld & Macrumors.com

I saw this somewhere about a week ago. I tested mine it seems to be working just fine so far.....

awesome. i'll have to recommend to my husband that he do this. On his first call to me when he got his phone we heard "button beeps" and were like WTF? Glad to know it's not just him.

Just noticed today I started to have this problem and did the reset all settings and now I CAN'T stay Logged on any Forums and on this forum I can't start a Thread plus when I'm on here I keeping getting that pop up asking me to get Tapatalk. HELP anyone Please????

I don't understand what the problem is. The way it works is when you are using the phone (held up near the ear), the display turns off which is a good thing. Move it away from your ear/face and in 2 seconds the display activates so you can use the keypad or do other stuff. What's the problem?

@1badsup the problem is when people including myself put the phones to our ears the proximity sensor isn't disabling the display so we are pressing random buttons with the sides of our faces. I ended up in the reset settings menu after a 20 second call to my girlfriend I could have reset the phone with the side of my face...Not good.

@1badsup the problem is when people including myself put the phones to our ears the proximity sensor isn't disabling the display so we are pressing random buttons with the sides of our faces. I ended up in the reset settings menu after a 20 second call to my girlfriend I could have reset the phone with the side of my face...Not good.

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

I have a new iPhone 4 and when a get a call and have it close to my face, after 3 minutes approx. I get no service and the phone hangs up. After 1 minute I get a full service signal. I tried a call from my wifes iPhone 3g with my iphone 4 on the table and it was ok. Proximity sensor makes my iPhone 4 lose connection to my carrier.

Yea, so far the best thing to do is hit the sleep/wake to lock the phone so you don't ear dial. Hopefully 4.1 will cure this issue.