What's new

iPhone 4 or 4s?

Lugnutz

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards getting an iPhone 4. I'm currently with Verizon and my logic for the 4 is I'm currently month to month and they are selling on Ebay at over $200 less than the 4s. I was thinking of picking up the 4 on Ebay and waiting till the 5 comes out and renew my contract.

I travel a lot and have an aftermarket radio that allows me to dock a iPhone or iPod and be able to control Pandora or my MP3's through the radio. I want an iPhone to dock and play Pandora/MP3, as well as run GPS and receive phone calls. I know the 4s comes with the A5 processor, but will it make a big difference, mainly a $200 difference? I have no desire to use Siri either.

I've also read the battery is worse in the 4s. While docked in the car it would stay charged. On battery I typically listen to about 90 minutes of music/Pandora, texting, some internet, and minimal calling. Will the 4s last me the day?

Thanks.

I got the 4 last month because it's cheaper and I really don't care about Siri. The 4 is a great phone still and you wouldn't have issues. I would see no benefit for you by getting a 4s unless you love blowing money on "upgrades" like 90% of apple owners lol

^agree. if the SIRI function is not a big deal for your daily use, stay on iPhone 4. and its cheaper. im happy enough for it. :camera:

for me wi-fi, mp3 player, camera and some useful applications are enough for me...

but last night , im trying to install the SIRI dictation voice function, but seems it doesnt install properly.

and about the battery, i dont think all 4S are like that. maybe some are defective, some are good. its an isolated cases.

Last edited:
Get the 4S, it's fast, faster, fastest amount all iPhone series. The 4S will handle more task and never you will experience freezing home screen. Plus with the 4S, not only that you have Siri, speed, better camera, it's a world phone a CDMA and a GSM phone, anywhere you will go, you will be able to use whatever carrier type they have which is if you a traveler can save you from a lot of hassles. The battery life on the iPhone 4S is great, it's all about how your iPhone set up are, but once you turn off stuff you do not need in the system you can make your day with the iPhone 4S without worrying about battery life. Good luck to you.

I just got the 4s after debating on the two and I think it is worth spending a little extra for. If ur on a budget then stick with the 4 but if you afford it then do it.

Don't be so quick to dismiss Siri. I am one who has 2 kids off at college and LOVE to text. Siri does a fabulous job in the speech to text. I can read off 2-3 sentences at a time and I would say she gets it right about 95% of the time. Now I tell my kids...bring on the texting now!

You guys are really missing the point of the OP's post. He is going to be using it for pandora and gps mostly. I could not justify spending all that extra money on a 4s when the 4 will do those things with no effort. Sure, the 4s is somewhat "faster" because of the dual core a5, but that will not make a difference with pandora or gps. I personally could not justify spending all that money on virtually the same phone with a dual core processor and a program that makes me more lazy then I already am (Siri). I don't see the 4s as much of an upgrade. It's just hyped up like every new iPhone that comes out. I will be looking forward to the 5 but I am very pleased with my 4 that literally cost me $99 out of my pocket. And the 4 does everything for me in stride. Never had it freeze or lock up.

So, to the OP, I think the iPhone 4 will suit you perfectly. And it seems like you can already see that the 4s is hundreds of dollars more for something you probably won't use and/or notice. Good luck with your choice!

You guys are really missing the point of the OP's post. He is going to be using it for pandora and gps mostly. I could not justify spending all that extra money on a 4s when the 4 will do those things with no effort. Sure, the 4s is somewhat "faster" because of the dual core a5, but that will not make a difference with pandora or gps. I personally could not justify spending all that money on virtually the same phone with a dual core processor and a program that makes me more lazy then I already am (Siri). I don't see the 4s as much of an upgrade. It's just hyped up like every new iPhone that comes out. I will be looking forward to the 5 but I am very pleased with my 4 that literally cost me $99 out of my pocket. And the 4 does everything for me in stride. Never had it freeze or lock up.

So, to the OP, I think the iPhone 4 will suit you perfectly. And it seems like you can already see that the 4s is hundreds of dollars more for something you probably won't use and/or notice. Good luck with your choice!

So if it's all about cost savings, then why not just keep what he has for another few months(at no additional cost), THEN get the iphone 5?

I ended going with the 4. It runs GPS and Pandora fine. Android has had speech to text for awhile and I never used it. The 4 wasn't that much and with the way Apple products hold their value, I'm not going to lose much money. The 5 likely isn't going to come out till fall. I like the 4 well enough that I may not even get the 5. I have no idea what the 5 is going to be. If it blows away the 4 I'll get it. If not I feel fine keeping the 4 a year or two.

iPhone 4 has 5 mega-pixel camera and iPhone 4S has a 8 mega-pixel camera. The difference is outstanding. If you like to take pictures that alone should push you towards the iPhone 4S.
The iPhone 4S lens has 5 elements in it, iPhone 4 only has 4. This causes more accurate colors and better low-light images. The iPhone 4S records 1080p video (Full HD) the iPhone 4 records 720p video (Almost Full HD) The 4S also has amazing video stabilization to cause the video to have less movement.

jacob11 said:
iPhone 4 has 5 mega-pixel camera and iPhone 4S has a 8 mega-pixel camera. The difference is outstanding. If you like to take pictures that alone should push you towards the iPhone 4S.
The iPhone 4S lens has 5 elements in it, iPhone 4 only has 4. This causes more accurate colors and better low-light images. The iPhone 4S records 1080p video (Full HD) the iPhone 4 records 720p video (Almost Full HD) The 4S also has amazing video stabilization to cause the video to have less movement.

None of that applies to what the OP said he wants to use the phone for.

mike1 said:
So if it's all about cost savings, then why not just keep what he has for another few months(at no additional cost), THEN get the iphone 5?

Because he wants an to have an iPhone and is going to buying it cheap off eBay. It's not really about cost savings, just that he doesn't see the point in spending the extra money for a 4s when the 4 will do what he wants equally as good. He said for his upgrade he will be getting the 5. Reading comprehension! Come on guys