What's new

Iphone 4 on 5.01 stuck in recovery/respring loop

Chapu

Reaction score
Hi guys, I really hate to start threads but honestly I couldn't find anyone with the same problem as me (or rather, couldn't find any proposed solutions that work). I apologize in advance for the long-ish post but I want to convey the problem with as much detail as possible:

This is what happened (jailbroken iPhone 4, running on iOS 5.01, with gevey sim unlock):
I installed a couple of Cydia tweaks, sent them to the queue to avoid having to respring every couple of minutes. When the phone resprung, it go stuck in a circle ring loop. I tried rebooting (every possible way) with no luck, sometimes it would go to the apple logo and get stuck there (for over an hour), sometimes it would go to the circle ring, or both. No big deal, I thought. This happened a few months ago, and I was able to restore it (a slight pain back then as I hadn't made any iTunes backups recently), so I figured I'd get home and do a Shift+Restore in iTunes if I couldn't find any solution online. I have the custom IPSW I made with redsn0w for iOS 5.01 when the untethered jailbreak came out, so it should be no big deal, right? Dead wrong. ITunes is having none of it, first I got a 3194 error, I worked my way around it, only to get a 2005, which was replaced with a 1600, and so on. I never saved the SHSH blobs on my computer because I understood that they were backed up in Cydia, but since the phone is now in the recovery loop (I can get it into DFU or pwned DFU with redsn0w or iReb but that hasn't helped much), when I open TinyUmbrella it doesn't recognize the device, so I don't know if they are actually available or not.
I've been at it for 7 hours straight and I'm starting to lose it.... So here goes my cry for help. (Actually "cries")

A) Anyone have an idea if I can access the file system with the device in DFU or similar mode? If so, I'm listening and you'll have my eternal gratitude... I'm pretty sure I can find and delete the apps that caused the crash in the first place

B) How about a way to retreive the SHSH blobs? (Remember, I never backed them up to my computer, only automatically via Cydia). I understand that if I have them I could theoretically upgrade to 5.1 and then downgrade back to 5.01 (although I don't know if that would upgrade the baseband, I wouldn't want to lose the unlockability). Is this correct or not?

C) If all else fails, is there a way to make a custom IPSW for 5.1 in my current state? So I don't have to upgrade the baseband (I'm definitely shooting for a factory unlocked iPhone next time so this isn't an issue), I would really like to avoid upgrading to 5.1 until there is an untethered jailbreak but I can live with it if there is no other choice, as long as I can keep the current baseband

D) Any other suggestions/solutions will be greatly appreciated and rewarded with some barbeque should any of you guys end up coming down to Argentina :) I don't mind having to end up restoring the phone from scratch, as long as I can preserve the baseband (although I'd obviously prefer the simplest fix possible)

Thanks in advance, sorry for the short novel above