What's new

Iphone 4 NEVER been jailbroken, error 21, won't restore?

Spanky23

Reaction score
Ok I fixed the digitizer on my screen, and it's been like 2 weeks since it's been on and working. Anyways, I plugged it in, and after a couple of minutes it turns on, let's me unlock it, then says connect to itunes, well Itunes doesnt read the cord on any computer, and yet my charger shows its picking up the charge (99%) When I put it into recovery and dfu mode the power button works, but not to turn on, will just flash the apple logo for a couple seconds, turn off, repeat. But Itunes does read the iphone when I put it in recovery and dfu mode but when I try to restore I get error 21 I turned off my virus protection and tried to restore like it says for error 21 and it still gives me the error any reason that the power button doesnt turn it on but works for dfu/recovery mode? Also how do I fix error 21 (also updated to 10.5.1). I need to get this restored to work!

I posted on the actual apple community and they didn't help at all, more dissed on me.

It shouldn't be a hardware problem, everything was looked at and shown that it was put together fine.

Something with the software won't let me restore it....anyone had a similar problem? Could upload video if need be

have you ever heard of a problem like this before?

Also does step 2 apply to me since mine isn't jailbroken?

I was on Ios5, tried to restore, got error 3194, so I tried 5.0.1 (Windows Security Essentials turned off), and all of the steps. Alas, error code 21 again :/ I hope my phone isn't broken

Also when it says error code, it pops up with the "connect to itunes" picture

I don't know how I can put it any clearer than how is did... :(

All the steps are designed to avoid all the standard errors you may encounter when restoring a phone, jailbroken or not.

It certainly doesn't sound like you even tried since you mention trying to install 5.0. YOU CANNOT EVER DO THAT! Follow the guide. ALL OF IT.

Best of luck.

I meant restoring to 5.0. I unchecked the one thing in tiny umbrella, downloaded the 5.0 firmware, turned off my antivirus software, put it in dfu mode, and pressed shift/restore and pressed on the downloaded 5.0, what am I doing wrong?

Plus you say my phone must be on to put into dfu mode. Like I said earlier, it only stays on when I plug in for awhile or put in dfu or recovery mode. It doesn't power on to my main screen unless in wall charger for a while, which makes me "plug into" itunes either way. So technically my phone is off, can I still put in to dfu mode to get it to work?

I meant restoring to 5.0. I unchecked the one thing in tiny umbrella, downloaded the 5.0 firmware, turned off my antivirus software, put it in dfu mode, and pressed shift/restore and pressed on the downloaded 5.0, what am I doing wrong?

You keep saying 5.0. Do you mean 5.0? I can't say this more clearly. YOU CANNOT INSTALL 5.0. You can ONLY install 5.0.1. There is a BIG difference. 5.0 is a SEPARATE firmware from 5.0.1.

Also, it does not matter whether your device is on or off for DFU. If you connect the device to the PC and hold both buttons for 10 seconds then let go of power whilst continuing to hold home, it will go into DFU mode.

You should not be getting iTunes error 21 if you are following all of this exactly.

Last edited:
So I get it in to DFU mode from turn off (since it doesnt turn on correctly just goes to the plug into itunes screen)

Go to restore, DID EVERYTHING you said, restore to now 5.0.1 and halfway through authorizing it goes back to the "plug into itunes" screen and error code 21

This phone is impossible

I turned off Microsoft Windows Essentials, and unchecked the box in the Umbrella program. What else am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
So I get it in to DFU mode from turn off (since it doesnt turn on correctly just goes to the plug into itunes screen)

Go to restore, DID EVERYTHING you said, restore to now 5.0.1 and halfway through authorizing it goes back to the "plug into itunes" screen and error code 21

This phone is impossible

I turned off Microsoft Windows Essentials, and unchecked the box in the Umbrella program. What else am I doing wrong?

If you are seeing the iTunes connect screen, you did not get into DFU mode. You need to ignore what is happening on the screen and follow the instructions. The screen should remain blank if you are in DFU mode. Nothing should be visible at all. Are you sure you are following the instructions to put the device into DFU mode properly?

Are you using an official Apple USB cable? 3rd party ones can cause problems. Also, try a different USB port.

Last edited:
Yes, official USB cable, and yes I get into DFU mode, BLANK SCREEN but HALFWAY THROUGH the authorization it changes to the connect to itunes screen, not from the start, but during the restore

Plus when I hold both for 10 seconds, and then let go of the power button , instead of 15 seconds, 7 seconds later it comes up with the iphone in recovery mode, I hold it for the whole 15 and it does nothing different.

It's still blank, does that mean it's still dfu mode?

Each port, different cord, still error 21

Only USB plugged in, official cord (trying a brand new one), antivirus is OFF, downloaded tiny umbrella, uncheck the box.
Download Ios5.0.1 and put on desktop
DFU mode (although mine seems to be 10 seconds both, 7 seconds home button?)
Shift, restore and update to 5.0.1

Starts doing it, then like 35 seconds later, turns on, makes the "dfu sound" and then shows the connect to itunes screen and gives me error 21

Last edited:
Plus when I hold both for 10 seconds, and then let go of the power button , instead of 15 seconds, 7 seconds later it comes up with the iphone in recovery mode, I hold it for the whole 15 and it does nothing different.

It's still blank, does that mean it's still dfu mode?

Each port, different cord, still error 21

Sorry. I misread. Yes, that is DFU mode... Don't know what else to suggest. Been doing this 4 years. The guide only fails to work if there is a hardware issue...

Ok but remember, I'm going into dfu mode with my PHONE ALREADY OFF, since when it turns on, it only goes to "plug into itunes screen" and if you disconnect it from the computer or wall, it turns off obviously.

Hm

There aren't 2 DFU modes. If you are in DFU mode your are in DFU mode. Whether your phone starts on or off does not matter...