What's new

Iphone 4 is a disappointment

RCharles

Reaction score
I've been an apple fan for twenty plus years (MacBook Pro) and an ATT wireless customer for over five years. On 15 June I pre-ordered my Iphone 4 and it was delivered on 24 June. It's my first Iphone and took me up a learning curve, so some of the early glitches were to be expected.

But last night I was on a call from my home, a call I've made almost every night for five years. This time, with the IPhone 4, the call dropped several times, at least five times in an hour, and this was with my holding the phone very carefully to avoid the antenna issue. Even when it was not dropping the call, there were random periods of severe voice distortion to the point it was un-intelligible. Please understand, I live atop an 800 ft hill with excellent ATT signal strength. Since moving here in 2005, my cell phone is my only phone. Before the IPhone 4 it's been a Motorola V3xx for at least three years; on that same call, to the same number, it would stay up throughout the call at least 95% of the time. The IPhone 4 is the only variable in this scenario: same cell tower, same geography, same everything except the IPhone.

My plan going forward: I will continue using the IPhone 4, including that same call every night for another week - ten days. These nightly calls will be my benchmark, since I have three+ years of experience with the V3xx phone. If the IPhone does not improve I will either return it or have ATT restore my V3xx for cell service and use the IPhone 4 as an IPod Touch.

I look forward to comments on how others perceive their IPhone 4 service and any suggestions on alternatives.

Regards

RCharles

I love my iPhone 4! Att has always had issues with dropped calls... I can't tell a big difference... Signal from my 3GS to 4 seem to be about the same... Signal has been an issue with all iPhones. I hope it improves for you! I'm really looking forward to next year... ;) iPhone4SA (super antenna)

I love my iPhone 4! Att has always had issues with dropped calls... I can't tell a big difference... Signal from my 3GS to 4 seem to be about the same... Signal has been an issue with all iPhones. I hope it improves for you! I'm really looking forward to next year... ;) iPhone4SA (super antenna)

Hi DannyBoy

I'll be honest, I do love the IPhone 4. One day this week I was at the Post Office and needed some info I forgot to bring along, but I used the IPhone 4 to go back through emails and get what I needed. It's my first IPhone 4; I suppose this level of functionality is expected by those who had earlier IPhones.

But I have to respond to your statement that "Att has always had issues with dropped calls..." That was the point of my original post, that in a rather well controlled experiment, my regular calls from the same location to the same number, were far more reliable using the Motorola V3xx. That suggests the dropped calls are NOT an ATT issue but an IPhone design/technology issue. Given it's been around since the early IPhones, I suspect it is a basic flaw of sime kind and is not totally caused by the new antenna design. I hope Apple finds and fixes the problem so I can keep using my IPhone as a phone.

Best
RCharles

I once had a moto razor... Never really had a lost call. I agree I don't think iPhones have the best reception that... Even simple phones like the razor has... I have enjoyed every iPhone from the first 2G it has been amazing how far it's come. Have you tried a case? I am a little curious if you have better results not touching the band at all?

Hi DannyBoy

I'll be honest, I do love the IPhone 4. One day this week I was at the Post Office and needed some info I forgot to bring along, but I used the IPhone 4 to go back through emails and get what I needed. It's my first IPhone 4; I suppose this level of functionality is expected by those who had earlier IPhones.

But I have to respond to your statement that "Att has always had issues with dropped calls..." That was the point of my original post, that in a rather well controlled experiment, my regular calls from the same location to the same number, were far more reliable using the Motorola V3xx. That suggests the dropped calls are NOT an ATT issue but an IPhone design/technology issue. Given it's been around since the early IPhones, I suspect it is a basic flaw of sime kind and is not totally caused by the new antenna design. I hope Apple finds and fixes the problem so I can keep using my IPhone as a phone.

Best
RCharles

Hi charles , based on my knowledge in radio transmission field & Gsm, the problem can come also for your network.

Let me explain you simply: The bandwidth and quality reception is based also on the quantity of user at the same time & place

Dont’ misunderstand me i am not cleaning Apple shoes , i use iPhone 4 for a week and in same place and i have better experience and reception … the Ip4 have surely a problem but not as the hater claim … it’s well know everybody will have a drop call with Ip4 will think immediately is the mobile they will not think is the the other party or the network ..

Some people are more sensible at the radio transmission this can affect the signal but is the same for all mobile since they integrated the antenna

Hope that will help to understand

Try using the earbuds? Or a case maybe? So you wouldn't be touching the phone at all?

The IPhone 4 has better reception than the last 4 plus phones I have owned. Now I have all the added benifits of all the Iphone apps. My little netbook may become obsolete!

There are way too many factors to consider and really the best avenue of approach is the one you are taking.

In one of our field problems in Korea we had a shot (LOS) that would drop the exact same time every night, long story short a train was cutting thru the shot and causing it to drop.

I tell you this because, this being a different phone and yes it is different even if it was the same brand name and model it would be different in the day and age of mass production and machines you can never be assured that any two phones are identical, so the best thing you can do for yourself is run your test and see how it goes from there.

Hello again

Thanks for all the responses - it's great that we can have an intelligent discussion of the merits and possible flaws with the IPhone 4.

I'll add another piece of my home "test" environment. As previously stated, I've only had a cell phone since moving here in late 2005. I bought an adapter, Dock n Talk, that Bluetooth connects to my cell phone and has a wired connection to my regular house telephones, distributing my cell phone calls to the house phones. This worked extremely well with my Motorola V3xx; I almost never used the cell phone directly, just picked up a house phone (cordless panasonic) and made or answered my calls. The Dock n Talk system even transferred the caller id information from the cell phone to the display screens on my cordless house phones.

Now for the IPhone 4. It would not Bluetooth connect and lock to the Dock n Talk device; it would connect, then drop, then connect, then drop over and over. Each connection would be less than a minute. I contacted the Dock n Talk vendor and they've decided my device is out of date; I've shipped it back for a firmware upgrade.

Bottom line: when the Dock n Talk device comes back next week, and assuming the IPhone 4 now connects and locks to it, I will make my nightly test calls with the IPhone 4 sitting on the table, next to the Dock n Talk. I will not need to touch it at any time, even to make or end the call. Let me note here that the V3xx would Bluetooth connect to the Dock n Talk when I walked in the door, still 30 feet away, and it would stay connected for the duration of a call.

I did the "test" call tonight and it dropped only once, a big improvement over last night but still disappointing.

RCharles

No connection drops or signal losses what so ever, no matter how I hold it.

The only problem I can see is I am experiencing no longer battery life than my 3GS. This was supposed to have a far superior battery but im just not seeing it. Its frustrating also that because I personally hate the multitasking (for me it was totally unnecessary and not wanted) am am always concerned this is impacting battery life no end. I wish there was an update where you could turn multi tasking off.

If you never ever use it, then why should we be forced to go through extra steps just to close apps to save battery life. The folders was the best thing in iOS4 for me on 3GS and IP4. So I am doubtful there will ever be an option to disable multi tasking but I will keep my hopes up. Other than the same battery life I am happy with the phone. The camera and screen are excellent, and as I say I have no reception or connectivity issue what so ever

I agree its disappointing that holding the phone wrong (or on my iP4, touching the sides) would show such a decrease in service. Its disappointing that I have to use a case to be able to comfortably hold my phone.

Its a great phone, and I'm glad I switched from my blackberry storm. Just a little tired of the antenna issue, but its not enough to make me want to take it back. I hope apple gets on the ball to figure out a solution besides holding the phone differently.

I truly believe the antenna stuff will be fixed via software update. The difference between 5 and 1 bars is 20db. The current firmware for the iphone is not properly dealing with fluctuations in signal strength. I would suggest waiting for a firmware update before making any solid decisions.

It won't "fix" it but yes it will look like a 20db drop not like a 80% drop. With that you won't have every YouTube video kid posting a video about how it drops 4 bars.... Then just like the 3G everyone will forget about it and move on to other news.....

The other portion to this is the frequency adaptation. The iphone is no adapting to these fluctuations in the signal strength. The antenna has the ability to choose the stronger of say three signals, however it is "locking" on say tower 1 and then you are in-between towers 1, 2, and 3 and it is locked on tower 1. Now I am basing this on some minor testing and a little knowledge of antenna. I m not a pro, but I think the antenna controller needs to be and is capable of being smarter.

I agree, the question is will apple integrate this into the first update or simply "fix" the display. I have no doubt this will eventually be fixed seeing as I'm pretty sure they will keep the same design for several years to come.