What's new

iPhone 4 International Sim-Free FAQ

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Buy your iPhone from Apple commitment-free.

It works with the carrier of your choice. Buy your iPhone from the Apple Online Store and choose your own GSM carrier. You can change carriers at any time.

It’s easy to set up. Get a compatible SIM (iPhone 3GS) or micro-SIM card (iPhone 4) and select a plan from the carrier of your choice. Then insert the card and set up your iPhone using iTunes on your Mac or PC. With a few clicks, you can start making calls.

It works internationally. Because this iPhone is commitment-free, you can purchase a micro-SIM or SIM card and service from a local carrier at your destination. Or check with your home carrier regarding international roaming charges.

Does iPhone work with any SIM card or carrier worldwide?

iPhone 3GS works with SIM cards and iPhone 4 works with micro-SIM cards from compatible carriers, including prepaid cards. Non-GSM carrier networks do not support iPhone. Availability of 3G data depends on carrier support for the radio frequencies used by iPhone.

Where can I get a SIM or micro-SIM card?

You can get a SIM or micro-SIM card from any carrier offering iPhone plans.

How do I get started using iPhone to place and receive calls?

First, insert an activated SIM or micro-SIM card from a compatible carrier. Then connect your iPhone to your computer and open iTunes to complete set up.

Do I need an iPhone-specific service plan?

iPhone may require large amounts of data usage. Please contact your carrier to ensure that you have an appropriate service plan to support iPhone.

Do I need to commit to a long-term contract for my iPhone?

Buying a commitment-free iPhone from the Apple Online Store allows you choose your own carrier and change carriers at any time. iPhone may also be available at a reduced initial price with a contract directly from your wireless carrier.

Does iPhone support tethering?

Yes. You can share the fast 3G connection on your iPhone with your Mac or PC and connect to the Internet from just about anywhere — no Wi-Fi required. Contact your carrier for details.

Are iPhone 4 and iPad micro-SIM cards interchangeable?

No. Your iPad micro-SIM card will not work with your iPhone.

Will all iPhone features work with my carrier?

Visual Voicemail requires carrier support and may not function on your carrier’s network. Please read this Support article or contact your carrier for more details.

Why does the price of iPhone from the Apple Online Store differ from its price from a carrier?

Carriers typically sell the iPhone with a contract that subsidizes the initial purchase price of the phone. By purchasing your iPhone without a contract, you can use any SIM or micro-SIM card from a compatible carrier, including your current one.

Can I use my iPhone outside my home country?

Yes. iPhone is enabled to work on carrier networks using GSM around the world. Because the iPhone sold by the Apple Online Store is commitment-free, you can purchase a SIM or micro-SIM card and service from a local carrier at your destination. Or check with your home carrier regarding international roaming charges.

If I buy iPhone from this Apple Online Store, can I ship it to another country?

No. Orders placed through this Apple Online Store can be shipped only within the country of purchase. You can also shop for friends and family in countries where iPhone is sold. Just visit the local store of the country where you want your products delivered.

I have serious doubts that Swisscom (my Swiss Carrier) will accept a phone not sold by it.At least this is the experience I had with my I-Phones3 32 GB I had to aquire from them.In addition Swisscom has not yet announced the availability of the new IPhone 4 in Switzerland.
I wish I could order it from you NOW but I have to checkwith my provider.
All other Apple products I have PC,IPads have been directly purchases from Apple Switzerland

I have serious doubts that Swisscom (my Swiss Carrier) will accept a phone not sold by it.At least this is the experience I had with my I-Phones3 32 GB I had to aquire from them.In addition Swisscom has not yet announced the availability of the new IPhone 4 in Switzerland.
All other Apple products I have PC,IPads have been directly purchases from Apple Switzerland

why do they need to accept it? just buy the phone how will they know what phone you are using and why would they care what phone your using?

Hi there

The make model firmware version and loads of other information is part of whats called a CDR (Call Data Record) packet that's send from your phone to the GSM switches. Network operators have been able to tell your actual location, via distance to base stations for years, you'll be amazed to know how much they now about your phone in these records.
G

why do they need to accept it? just buy the phone how will they know what phone you are using and why would they care what phone your using?

Hi there

The make model firmware version and loads of other information is part of whats called a CDR (Call Data Record) packet that's send from your phone to the GSM switches. Network operators have been able to tell your actual location, via distance to base stations for years, you'll be amazed to know how much they now about your phone in these records.
G

true but location is one thing and what phone your using is another, but im sure they could find out..

but what iw onder is why a carrier would care what phone you use? if my carrier told me what phone i could use or not i would not go with them

The main point being if you want to stick with one company... You might as well buy the phone from them to work on their network. If you would rather go prepaid or switch sim cards alot for travel just buy the unlocked one. Just be carefull data plans can get expensive without an iPhone data plan.....I'd hate to see my bill if I was on a prepay plan lol! As the thread intro says...check with your carrier....if you don't want a supprise bill at the end of the month :)

so hang on , if i got a payg iphone 4 ,got a contract only sim (which includes unlimited interent text and about 300 minutes) then got a micro sim cutter and cut my sim card to a micro sim size , would it work fine ? .. please reply you will be helping alot of people :)

so hang on , if i got a payg iphone 4 ,got a contract only sim (which includes unlimited interent text and about 300 minutes) then got a micro sim cutter and cut my sim card to a micro sim size , would it work fine ? .. please reply you will be helping alot of people :)

Yes...

I cut both my sims, well actually I sent them to Newcastle and some guy cut them for me. But one is o2 pay as you go unlimited 3G and the other is contract from Greece and they both work fine

could you send me a link to the unlimited 3g o2 sim ? :) sorry to be a pain

every time i speak to some one at o2 they tell me somethign different, apparantly unlimited 3g only exists on contract and even that they are going to eliminate by september

D*cks ,is 1 gb of internet good enough fora month ? thats the usual "unlimited internet" on all types of contracts these days

for some its more then enough, it depends how much you use the net on your phone

well i'll just be poping on facebook,msn and things like the weather app for a minute or two so 500 mb let alone 1gb will be fine right ?