What's new

iPhone 4 games make outbound calls

killoren

Reaction score
I have an interesting and troubling problem. About 6 weeks ago we started getting calls from numbers all over North America. The calls would either ring a couple of times and stop or ring until we answered. When we did answer we always heard children (or babies) on the other end. At first we thought that it was just kids playing with their parents phone and were lucky enough to have hit the right keys to make a call. But when the calls started coming in at 25 to 50 a day we realized that something in the code of the apllication (game) was making the calls. We started redialing the numbers that came in on caller I.D. and usually a parent would answer the phone. And sure enough in every case they were letting their child play a game on the phone. We started asking what games because we suspected that there would be one game that was the problem game. That was not the case as it turns out it wa a variety of games. My guess now is that it has something to do with the server supporting these games. I called Apple (yes...I actually got to someone) and after several layers and repeated conversations told my tale of woe. I have not heard back from Apple. They did not seem too concerned as they first said I would need to change my phone number. Since this is a business phone line that the iPhone is calling that did not work for me. It is getting to the point it is almost a "denial of service" from the constant phone calls.

Here is the interesting part. When the calls are made I can hear everything that is going on near the phone.....yes that is correct. I can listen in on everything from babies screaming, parents discussing sports, talking about their finances and most everything else. I believe there is a very serious security issue with the iPhone. I would think Apple would be concerned about me being able to listen in on their customers thought it appears they are not.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

I've been having this problem for a while as well. Have you found a resolution? I'm getting 20+ calls a day with exactly the same situation as you.

I have an interesting and troubling problem. About 6 weeks ago we started getting calls from numbers all over North America. The calls would either ring a couple of times and stop or ring until we answered. When we did answer we always heard children (or babies) on the other end. At first we thought that it was just kids playing with their parents phone and were lucky enough to have hit the right keys to make a call. But when the calls started coming in at 25 to 50 a day we realized that something in the code of the apllication (game) was making the calls. We started redialing the numbers that came in on caller I.D. and usually a parent would answer the phone. And sure enough in every case they were letting their child play a game on the phone. We started asking what games because we suspected that there would be one game that was the problem game. That was not the case as it turns out it wa a variety of games. My guess now is that it has something to do with the server supporting these games. I called Apple (yes...I actually got to someone) and after several layers and repeated conversations told my tale of woe. I have not heard back from Apple. They did not seem too concerned as they first said I would need to change my phone number. Since this is a business phone line that the iPhone is calling that did not work for me. It is getting to the point it is almost a "denial of service" from the constant phone calls.

Here is the interesting part. When the calls are made I can hear everything that is going on near the phone.....yes that is correct. I can listen in on everything from babies screaming, parents discussing sports, talking about their finances and most everything else. I believe there is a very serious security issue with the iPhone. I would think Apple would be concerned about me being able to listen in on their customers thought it appears they are not.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

How do you know it's not happening because the babies are backing out of the game and getting to the phone screen?

How do you know it's not happening because the babies are backing out of the game and getting to the phone screen?

I've called a couple of people back and the ones that talk to me said they were playing a game and hit an ad, which then dialed a number they didn't know (our business line). Just like the first poster, I've got minutes-long voicemails of people talking. It's usually kids & babies, but the other day I listened to one guy that was telling a kid what naughty words he can't say. Funny, but disturbing...

Since many of the voicemails are at my phone service's time limit (3:33), it seems like people jump back in the game while the phone call is still going and keep playing until they get disconnected.