What's new

iPhone 4 Error 3194 ENORMOUS HEADACHE !

ARGMAN

Reaction score
Well, to start, I have iPhone 4 with 4.1 firmware and I wanna UPGRADE that to iOS5 5.0.1 and jailbreak it

when I shift+click the restore and load the custom ipsw i got it from this link: Firmware - The iPhone Wiki

error 3194 will should, GOSH I HATE IT.

I started to look all over the internet for solutions.

actually i have used it on another machine and same error came up 3194. I am at wits end. everywhere it says its a hosts file issue, but I have done everything with this gdamn hosts file to make it brand new. I have edited it in notepad and deleted the contents of the file, saved it. rebooted. checked to make sure windows wrote the default one, still 3194. I have used microsoft fixit to put a default hosts file in etc. again 3194. I have added 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com to hosts file, I have removed 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com from hosts file. still 3194. I have clicked update, error 3001, everywhere it says to click restore to solve that problem, so i click restore, 3194. I shift click browse to my ipsw, again 3194. I have put my phone into DFU recovery mode and still 3194. I have used tiny umbrella to put it in Recovery mode, still 3194.

so how will solve this problem?

and would upgrading to 5.0.1 normally (by itunes) and then jailbreaking will harm the process? because - and from what I read - that custom ipsw is used by who are panic of loosing their unlock, will I DON'T. my iPhone is already unlocked!

If your iPhone is already unlocked then try restore with iTunes and update the normal way.

This should solve the problem, remove 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com and remember to save host file.

Good luck

thanks! but are you sure mate? I mean you are confirming that custom ipsw is for unlocking only and purely?

Creating a custom IPSW allows you to preserve an Unlockable baseband. It's your Baseband that determines the Unlock.

$Untitled.jpg
and by the way I am using vista and i does NOT show me administer access when I wanna edit that file!

Last edited:
Creating a custom IPSW allows you to preserve an Unlockable baseband. It's your Baseband that determines the Unlock.

my modem firmware is 02.10.04. I bought it through one store who bought it from Dubai and assured me it is UNLOCKED. so I am safe to upgrade with apple directly right?

my modem firmware is 02.10.04. I bought it through one store who bought it from Dubai and assured me it is UNLOCKED. so I am safe to upgrade with apple directly right?
No, updating your iP4 via iTunes will update your iOS to 5.0.1 and ALSO udate your Baseband (Modem Firmware) to 4.11.08. There is not an unlock curently available for that Baseband. To update, you need to create a custom IPSW and choose to preserve Baseband.

I see. so which custom ipsw should I use to avoid that error? and what do you also suggest?

does removing TU or removing Cydia do the job?

Last edited:
I see. so which custom ipsw should I use to avoid that error? and what do you also suggest?
I'll be honest with you... that's where I'm a little fuzzy on what to do. So, please be patient and someone will come along and know the exact route you need to take.

Well I'm looking at a few things... and from I see the 02.10.04 Baseband can't be Unlocked. Have you already used this iDevice or did you just purchase it?

cheerz! I'll wait though I am devastated :(

no it is with me since Nov 2010, when the store jailbroke it and I didn't update it since then.

no it is with me since Nov 2010, when the store jailbroke it and I didn't update it since then.
:) Just trying to get your sorted out here. Have you been using your iP4 on a carrier other than what it's locked to... or are you wanting to now?

Apologies I thought you had a stock unlocked iPhone and didn't rely on an unlock.

In which case other members should be able to help. I don't rely on an unlock so dont really know what to advise

Your in good hands on this site though mate, just be patient : )

Apologies I thought you had a stock unlocked iPhone and didn't rely on an unlock.In which case other members should be able to help. I don't rely on an unlock so dont really know what to adviseYour in good hands on this site though mate, just be patient : )
:) Good rule of thumb to look at when people are having issues updating.... if they're on an iOS version of 4.1 or earlier there's a good chance they're sitting there because it was Unlocked at that version and were told to NOT update. Just a bit of useful information for the future.