What's new

iPhone 4 custom ipsw restore issues

diesel

Reaction score
Hi guys. So I am on iOS 5.1.1 and use ultrasn0w to unlock my iPhone 4 as I have always been careful about preserving my baseband.
Well now thanks to all the different cydia mods that I tried my iPhone has gone extremely slow.
I decided to do a clean restore to iOS 5.1.1 custom ipsw to preserve baseband. But so far it's been three days and all I am getting is errors over errors.
I tried my MacBook and PC both but no luck.
I created a custom ipsw from redsn0w and sn0wbreeze both and each time I get errors like error 11, 1600, 20 and at Mac an error which says the iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored because the ipsw isn't eligible.
For error 1600 I used tinyumbrella's run tss server option but after that it gives error 11. Then I didn't use tinyumbrella and simply edited the host file but after that I got the error 1600 again.
I also put my iPhone in pwned DFU mode using redsn0w and iReb both.

Guys will really appreciate if you can help.

Error 1394 is solved with TinyUmbrella. Error 1600 is from not putting your device into DFU or a driver problem on your computer. Make sure that the device is indeed in DFU mode. I've seen 2 occasions where the user said it's in DFU mode, but it's actually in recovery. Check for 2 things for error 11. Remove any gs.apple.com lines from your host file

Make a habit of making a checklist of the things that should be done when restoring/downgrading etc and check them off as you go along so you know what might be causing the problem, which saves you time since you wouldn't have to go back again and look for everything to just facepalm and go "Aww crap.... I was just thinking about that too."

willerz2 said:
Error 1394 is solved with TinyUmbrella. Error 1600 is from not putting your device into DFU or a driver problem on your computer. Make sure that the device is indeed in DFU mode. I've seen 2 occasions where the user said it's in DFU mode, but it's actually in recovery. Check for 2 things for error 11. Remove any gs.apple.com lines from your host file

Make a habit of making a checklist of the things that should be done when restoring/downgrading etc and check them off as you go along so you know what might be causing the problem, which saves you time since you wouldn't have to go back again and look for everything to just facepalm and go "Aww crap.... I was just thinking about that too."

I have tried everything you mentioned. I have had done this many times before so have a good experience but can't figure out the problem this time.
Now it's constantly giving me this error 'The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build'

:/

Are you sure you're using the correct IPSW? There is a CDMA and a GSM version of the IPSW for the iPhone 4.

willerz2 said:
Are you sure you're using the correct IPSW? There is a CDMA and a GSM version of the IPSW for the iPhone 4.

Yeah it's the correct version. GSM that is.

If it's still showing "iPhone 'iPhone' is not eligible for the requested build", edit the host file and remove any gs.apple.com lines, do the TinyUmbrella untick and delete the host.umbrella file under the host file itself. After that, flush your DNS.

To flush on your Mac, open up terminal and run
dscacheutil -flushcache

To flush on your Windows, open up command prompt (start > run > cmd or start > search 'cmd') and run
ipconfig /flushdns

Make sure iTunes is closed before doing all this or it won't work.

So I finally got it working. It was a pain in the ***
What I did was, first stitch blobs to the iOS 5.1.1 ipsw and then use that ipsw in sn0wbreeze to make a custom ipsw to preserve the baseband.
After that I used iReb to pwndfu my iPhone 4, then ran TSS Server in tinyumbrella and then finally iTunes, shift+restore and it was restored.
After trying everything in the forums and elsewhere I went all spontaneous and tried this and it worked.
And oh yeah, used Redsn0w later to jailbreak. (only preserved baseband with sn0wbreeze)

And thank you guys. :)