What's new

iPhone 4 bricked?

me3zyy

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 4 on 4.3.4. It had a tethered jailbreak using redsn0w. I had some wifi problems so I selected the option to "reset all network settings" or something like that. Now my iPhone won't go past the apple logo. Getting it into DFU mode has not worked. I know how to get into DFU mode, and that is not the problem. I turn the phone off, hold the home and power button, but 5 seconds into that, the phone turns off. It does not allow me to hold it for 10 seconds. Is there ANY way for me to restore my phone to factory, or any way at all for me to connect and be identified by iTunes without fully powering on ?

You said that you are having a tether jailbreak, do you know what TETHER jailbreak means?
Everytime you will reboot your iPhone, you will need to connect it to your computer and use an iBoot.exe to boot up your iPhone. It's useless trying whatever you've been trying, DFU, hard reset and so on... Get an iBoot.exe, most of the time you can find in the RedSnow folder or on your desktop if you've use SnowBreeze to cook your IPSW.

Last edited:
You can try to restore the phone in recovery mode. To do recovery mode, when the phone is off, hold the home button and plug in the usb cord. YOur iPHone should turn on and have the connect to itunes logo from which you may be able to restore your iPhone.

HI i have a smilar problem..i bought an iphone 4 16gb from the United States and am currently living in India.
it came with 4.3.2 installed and was working fine with an UNTETHERED jailbreakme jailbreak.
i recently installed the emoji app from the app store and was using it and after a few hours i find my iphone dead. it wont come one! ive tried everything.
Now i tried to restore to it with itunes to 4.3.5 but i keep getting the 1601 error.
ive tried Ireb, tiny Umbrella, and ive tried putting the phone in a pwned state using ireb before doing the restore but it just doesnt work. i keep getting the same error. i am unable to download the official apple firmware of 4.3.5 as my internet is very unstable, so i downloaded the firmware from the felix bruns site.

after reading a bit i think i am stuck in a recovery mood loop but im not sure. the phone goes into DFU mode but just wont restore.
my major concerns are getting the phone to start more than the jailbreak which is secondary right now.

Any Help will be much Appreciated.

@misticalodin
Error are very common when restoring previously jailbroken iphones.
The way to get around the error is to,
1. Quit iTunes
2. Locate the host files for itunes on your computer, for mac its at /etc/hosts and for pc its at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
3. Add "74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com" to the very bottom of the host files on your computer.
4. Turn iTunes back on
5. Connect iPhone and put into DFU and restore.