What's new

Iphone 4 and Ipad 2 running on IOS 5: How to thether?

fskywalker

Reaction score
Hi I have an iPhone 4 (AT&T with the legacy unlimited data plan) and a new iPad 2, both running IOS 5. I want to do tethering from the iPhone into the iPad and now if you pay for the tethering through AT&T they will force me to give away my legacy plan, which am obviously unwilling to do.

Can I do tethering otherwise? Jailbreaking both units?

Thanks,

Francisco

If you jailbreak your iPhone4 using our guide here - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/h...-ios5-tethered-using-redsn0w-beginners-25943/ (and note it is a tethered jailbreak - make sure you understand what that means by reviewing the tutorial first) and then purchase iTether from the Cydia store once you are done, you will be good to go. This enables the native tethering on your iPhone4 using your current data package. It hides it's usage, so in most circumstances it is undetectable by the carrier. Just don't go over any usage allowances you have. Excessive use of even an unlimited grandfathered AT&T plan can cause unwanted attention... ;)

iTether is $4.99 I think (one off charge, and if you have never used it before, the Cydia store is perfectly safe to use)

You don't need to do anything to the iPad2, which is just as well as it cannot currently be jailbroken on IOS5. You just tether it to the wireless hotspot which your phone will be able to create. I've run with this setup problem free for about a year.

Hope that helps.

Hi I tried but something apparently went wrong, since the Cydia icon is in the screen but cannot be accessed, neither erased. How can I check if the Iphone is indeed jailbreak?

Hi I tried but something apparently went wrong, since the Cydia icon is in the screen but cannot be accessed, neither erased. How can I check if the Iphone is indeed jailbreak?

You MUST boot the phone tethered EVERY TIME it is restarted, including the first time. Cydia will not run until you tethered boot. Look at the tutorial I linked to above your message and follow Step 8.

Hi, I tried a few times the step 8 and didn't work. I was running version 5.0 and just updated to 5.0.1 and retried the whole thing but the jailbreak software saids that I have an invalid software. What should I do? The Cydia store is no longer as an icon in the phone neither.

Thanks,

Francisco

Hi, I jailbreak by 4S and installed iThether. Do I need to install anything in the iPad? I thought I don't have to, but is not working (The iPad is not jailbreak)