What's new

Iphone 3GS needs unlocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbus

Reaction score
I am new to Iphone 3GS so please treat me as a newbie.

I purchased a S/H Iphone 3 GS that was untethered and jail broken, connected it to ITunes and was informed there was a software upgrade. Backed up the phone and downloaded the latest version of the operating system and realised my mistake. As it is untethered and jail broken no software updates should be done as it locks the phone back to the original service provider, with the phone needing activation via ITunes. The problem is the correct SIM card from the original service provider is needed, which I haven't got or know who the service provider is.

Is there any way to untether and jail brake the phone in this non-activated state?

Welcome to iPhoneForums. Please take the time to peruse the forum rules here and keep them in mind whilst posting throughout your stay with us.

Depending on what bootrom the iPhone 3GS has, you can either straight untethered jailbreak it, or tethered jailbreak the device, then apply the untethered patch. This tutorial outlines the jailbreaking process, which will also hacktivate your device (only applies to the iPhone 3G, 3GS and iPhone 4 on iOS 6.1.6 or below). Hacktivating is the process of "bypassing" the setup process that you're currently stuck at. Again, this will only work on the 3G, 3GS and 4, on 6.1.6 or below.

To unlock your device using a software unlock, it's a lengthier process. You'd have to perform a bunch of selective restoration procedures to get your device into the appropriate constraints, specifically the baseband firmware. Prior to jailbreaking, when you plug your device into your computer and run RedSn0w, the bottom of the screen on RedSn0w should show iPhone 3GS (new bootrom) or iPhone 3GS (old bootrom) followed by 6.1.6.

If your device is a new bootrom iPhone 3GS, you will first have to downgrade to iOS 4.1 using this tutorial. If your device is an iPhone 3GS old bootrom, follow the first tutorial above, and look for this screen below

Redsn0w-0.9.6b5-2.jpg

And when you're at that screen, select Yes, and it will jailbreak your device, hacktivate it, and flash your baseband firmware to 06.15.00, aka the iPad baseband. Let it finish, boot it tethered as stated at the bottom of the jailbreak tutorial, then open Cydia, and install p0sixspwn, then UltraSn0w, and you're untethered jailbroken and software unlocked. (This tutorial may be slightly more descriptive in terms of pictures because it includes the tickboxes for the "Install iPad Baseband" option)

If your device is a new bootrom 3GS, once you've downgraded to iOS 4.1, you'll have to follow the set of instructions in the link directly above (relinked here) to jailbreak on iOS 4.1, and flash the iPad Baseband. You should now be on iOS 4.1, jailbroken, with the 06.15.00 (iPad) baseband. Now you'll have to follow this guide, and choose the 6.1.6 IPSW rather than what's stated in the tutorial so that you'll now be on iOS 6.1.6, with the 06.15.00 baseband. Now you can follow this guide to jailbreak and hacktivate, and then install p0sixspwn and UltraSn0w.

If this is a little too complicated, or if you can't manage to get this done in a try or two, if you can install TeamViewer, I can perform the computer portion of it for you as it can be overwhelming if you haven't played around with it yourself.

Thank you, willerz2. And, with that, we will lock this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.