What's new

iphone 3GS need help

lizarnator

Reaction score
my iphone 3gs has been water damaged and i hope to fix it, it has the following issues:
  • recovery loop (when i restore it restarts in recovery mode)
  • *if i pull the usb cable out when it is on the apple logo during restart, it starts up normally*
  • backlight does not work (i have ordered the new coil and will replace it when it arrives)
  • when i do manage to start it up normally, i am returned to the main screen when opening any apps, or safari, or mail etc. also, when i swipe to the search screen (furthest screen left) the keyboard opens and causes the iphone to freeze. this also happens when i try to type a message in messaging.
  • none of the buttons work. i can not enter DFU mode. (tried new logic board in the iphone and the buttons worked fine)
is there a fuse or something on the logic board i need to replace? i'm happy to solder anything i need to, i have a multimeter etc.
thanks for any help.
cheers

You still have moisture in the device or worse you have oxidized some of the connectors by using the phone while it still had trapped moisture.

I would recommend turning it off, drying it out properly and hope you haven't created any permanent damage. If you still have problems after a proper drying, I suggest using an alcohol based cleaning solution and clean every connector to remove any oxidation.

got the logic board sitting in a bag of rice now, will methylated spirits be ok for cleaning connectors?

Yeah. I doubt you created any oxides it can't clean up.

hey, i gave it a good clean with meths and a toothbrush and saw that the reason for the backlight not working is that the connector is really rusty, but its still stuck in a recovery loop. any suggestions? cheers