What's new

iPhone 3GS is bricked and gets error 21 when trying to restore Windows 7

Yeah, I think so! I followed the instructions and the Sn0wbreeze program said it worked. A window popped up in Snowbreeze saying I'd successfully entered Pwned DFU mode, and then it switches to iTunes, I tried to SHIFT restore, and same error 21 problem.

Last edited:
I took it to a local cellphone repair guy who fixed my friends Blackberry and they don't know what to do either! Do you think my phone is busted? When I googled it seems like there are different errors you get when the phone is physically damaged, not error 21, but I guess it's possible? :(

Apple Girl said:
I took it to a local cellphone repair guy who fixed my friends Blackberry and they don't know what to do either! Do you think my phone is busted? When I googled it seems like there are different errors you get when the phone is physically damaged, not error 21, but I guess it's possible? :(

It's possible.

One time I could not restore my phone for 2 weeks because of many different errors. I know error 21 was one of them.

It finally worked one day, but there was no particular fix.....it just worked one day.

I went to the Apple Store and even they didn't know what was wrong! They said nothing looked broken, but they couldn't get it to restore and the only thing they would do is sell me a new phone!!! :(

Anyone have any last "hail mary" suggestions before I cave and get a new phone?

I went to the Apple Store and even they didn't know what was wrong! They said nothing looked broken, but they couldn't get it to restore and the only thing they would do is sell me a new phone!!! :(

Anyone have any last "hail mary" suggestions before I cave and get a new phone?

So you don't have a warranty?

I Also have this very particular problem only on my iPhone 4. I also got the message "activation required" out of the blue when my phone was charging.

Been working on my phone for a week now and still not alot of progress.. I have 3 yrs experience with jailbreaktools, like redsnow, snowbreeze, tiny umbrella etc. but never encountered a problem this big.. I think this problem identifies itself by how it all got started, that darn activation screen out of nothing..

Not giving up on this one though, i'll get back when I find a solution to this.

Some info,
iPhone 4, AT&T
IOS 5.0.1 BB 4.11.04 (Using Gevey SIM for coverage in the Netherlands)
SHSH blobs saved for; 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, 4.2.1, 4.3.1, 4.3.3, 4.3.5, 5.0.1

Problem description,
After updated all essential updates in Cydia I put the phone in my dock for charging and went to sleep. Three hours later the phone booted from itself and showed the 'activation required' screen, so I got out of bed and reached for an AT&T sim to activate it. However as I disconnected the phone from the dock, the phone immedeatly turned off (black screen).

When I tried to boot the phone disconnected from the dock it went in a reboot loop. In action to this I did a hard reset and got to the recovery screen, from which I am unable to recover from. (DFU and Pwned DFU also no succes). I also tried different approuches with a running TSS server, modified Host's file and different cables/computers.
Used various tools to kick out of recovery, but then the phone gets in de boot-loop again. Also tried the 'just boot tethered' option.

I don't know exactely why the phone isn't able to boot, when I use iFaith to recover my blobs it cannot get past the IOS check. Also TinyUmbrella is not able to detect or recover any blobs. Maybe there aren't any on the phone?

Please ask if there is anything unclear and let me know what you think.
I have this feeling that this problem is going to be solved someday. :)

Last edited:
Guys im having the same problem with rik and apple girl. Did anyone manage to solve this ? i'm getting quite frustrated with my phone!

Try this out
open my computer:local disk /C: Windows: System32: Drivers: etc then delete the file called hosts

Had same problem yesterday , tried to restore a 3GS to factory settings. Used TinyUmbrella to uncheck Cydia host, Redsn0w to force PawnedDFU, downloaded IPSW from iClarified - no luck ; error21. Also tried with host set to Cydia - still same problem :(

Woohooo - done it: did exactly the same as indicated on my previous post but on OSX - Mt.Lion: TinyUmbrella to disable Cydia host, Redsn0w to PwnDFU and Option restore with iTunes to downloded IPSW 5.1.1. Fresh 'virginised 3GS' :p

Previously tried it on a lenovo laptop - XP over proxy server, suspect server connection denied :(

Hi guys. :)

I was wondering if someone could help me out? I'm desperate, my iPhone stopped working suddenly (no apparent reason, didn't drop it or anything) and I don't have a home phone even so I can't call anyone at all!

My iPhone was plugged in to charge when I got message saying "activation required." I tried resetting it and it wouldn't boot up properly, so I figured it would have to be restored (I have had to restore it once prior).

When I try to restore it through iTunes I keep getting error 21 and it doesn't work. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium.

I have tried:
- restarting computer
- updating iTunes
- turning off antivirus
- running Windows update
- trying to restore in both recovery and DFU mode (I think, assuming I did it right?)
- trying to restore using a different user profile.
- using a different computer to attempt restore
- everything in this - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/h...afe-method-restore-current-version-ios-26019/ - tutorial

NOTE: from google it seems many people get error 21 because their phone is jailbroken. I did NOT jailbreak my phone (just saying this for diagnostic purposes).

If anyone knows what I can do to fix my phone I will be extremely grateful. I really can't afford to buy a new one. :([

Try this:
open my computer:local disk /C: Windows: System32: Drivers: etc then delete the file called hosts
After try to restore it from iTunes

Try this
After that restore the phone using iTunes

I have the same problem, this steps are works for me.
What you need are :
1. Latest Redsn0w (mine is ver 14)
2. Original firmware, you can search in Google (Felixburn have all firmware, just search it)

Steps I:
1. Connect your iphone with PC
2. Open Redsn0w, and klik extra
3. Klik "Select IPSW", choose your IPSW then Back
4. Klik "Jailbreak"
5. Uncheck all option but "Deactiveate"

Step II:
After its done.
1. Klik 'Jailbreak"
2. Select "Install Cydia"
3. Klik Next, in this proccess you might need to follow instruction to enter DFU mode.
When its done, you will enter setting configuration on iphone.

Thas it, you should be ok with your iPhone now.