What's new

iPhone 3Gs - Help upgrading to 5.1.1

jtuck

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an iPhone 3Gs Unlocked / Jailbreacked. I would like to upgrade the software version to 5.1.1 since I have now the version 4.1 and there are a lot of apps that can't be downloaded.

info:
Version: 4.1
BB: 06.15.00
S/N: 79017Z....

Do you have any tutorial on how to do this upgrade (if possible) for my iPhone? (Not sure about the BB thing...)

Thanks for your help!
J.-

Are you wanting to preserve your baseband to unlock your phone? If not then just plug the phone into your computer and open up iTunes and restore. It'll install 5.1.1. Then just re jailbreak.

Sent from my Sprint iPhone 4

Are you wanting to preserve your baseband to unlock your phone? If not then just plug the phone into your computer and open up iTunes and restore. It'll install 5.1.1. Then just re jailbreak.

I really don't care the BB... I just want to upgrade the iPhone 3Gs from 4.1 to 5.1.1 and unlock/jailbreak it. Do you have any tutorial on how to do it on my cellphone? I have watch this one
but as you can see this is only for baseband 5.16.05... any idea on how should I proceed?

Thanks for your help!
J.-

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you need to preserve your baseband to unlock the phone

Well you need to preserve your baseband to unlock the phone

Thanks for your response but I don't understand exactly what you mean by that... I need to preserve my baseband means that I shouldn't downgrade it? why?

Thanks again!
J.-

Because if you just restore to 5.1.1 through iTunes, it will also upgrade your baseband to the most current version which will make it impossible to unlock your phone. There will be absolutely no way to do it. So if you preserve your baseband with a custom IPSW through snowbreeze, you can unlock with no problems. All you need to do is search on this forum. There has been threads exactly like this almost everyday for the past week.

Last edited:
Because if you just restore to 5.1.1 through iTunes, it will also upgrade your baseband to the most current version which will make it impossible to unlock your phone. There will be absolutely no way to do it. So if you preserve your baseband with a custom IPSW through snowbreeze, you can unlock with no problems. All you need to do is search on this forum. There has been threads exactly like this almost everyday for the past week.

Thanks for your help! I was searching over the internet and I know how to do it now... the last doubt that I have before doing this is about the boot rom... I have checked this with redsn0w and I have a NEW BOOTROM (iBoot-359.3.2) so my question is if I can upgrade this anyway? I think I can (it's unlocked already, right?)... please let me know what you think. thanks again!!!

J.-