What's new

iPhone 3GS Software Upgrade

miles

Reaction score
My friend got two iPhone 3GS (software is 4.1 jailbroken, second phone is at 4.0). One is jailbroken and the other one is not. The jailbroken one, in cydia it shows that it could be upgraded to 5.1 and 5.1.1.

I tried helping him to upgrade his phones. Using redsnow Ver 0.9.15b3, I tried upgrading both phones to 5.1 and 5.1.1. The redsnow stopped working after few seconds after the phone ran on DFU mode. Then an error showed - "Redsnow stopped working, Windows is looking for solution."

I tried it on at least 3 laptops with the same error. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Are you using the Restore method? Run RedSn0w as an administrator and change the compatibility to Windows XP SP2 or SP3. Then go to Extras > Even More > Restore and restore it. Select IPSW and point it to the IPSW that matches your device on the iOS that you're trying to upgrade to, this must match the blobs available. For blobs, just select Remote since they're on Cydia, or Local if they're on your device. Make sure that the devices are in DFU mode when prompted to. DFU, not recovery. DFU is a black screen and Recovery is the "Connect to iTunes" screen.

Hi! Is the procedure the same for both phones (one is jailbroken, one is not)?

Run RedSn0w as an administrator and change the compatibility to Windows XP SP2 or SP3. <- applicable for Windows 7?

Extras > Even More > Restore and restore it - This is the menu I went. It went to DFU mode. It showed Limerain1, exploiting... etc. but halted after few seconds and it showed the error.

Is redsnow Ver 0.9.15b3 the one that I should use or another version? I did the same procedure in my iphone4 (from 4.0 to 5.1 w/o any problem on the same laptop.). My friend's 3GS phones wouldn't cooperate. Thanks again.

If one device is not jailbroken, then you cannot use the Remote feature for blobs unless it was previously jailbroken and has iOS 5.1.1 blobs saved. And yes, that is applicable for Vista and 7.

Which error did it show. Was there an exact number. Yes, 0.9.15 beta 3 is the latest version. If anything, on the iPhone 3GS that's jailbroken with the blobs, retrieve the blobs using the Extras > SHSH blobs > Fetch. Once you've gotten the 5.1.1 SHSH blobs, stitch a custom IPSW using RedSn0w, then use iTunes to restore using that custom IPSW that you created.

Hi! I have with me right now the 3GS not jailbroken. I tried the procedure above. It gets into DFU mode. Then it showed Limerain.... then waiting for reboot. Then it stopped and showed Exploit failed. Any suggestion? Could I use a different application to upgrade this to 5.1.1? Thanks.

You must have the SHSH blobs locally or remotely and therefore you have to be previously jailbroken! If you do not, you can simply not go to 5.1 or 5.1.1!

Many thanks,
Software

You can straight up jailbreak the device now. Download the IPSW for the iOS that's currently on your iPhone 3GS, go to RedSn0w, Extras > Select IPSW, point it to the IPSW for your device, click back, click Jailbreak, put your device into DFU mode.

@Software, you can save your blobs without being jailbroken. Using RedSn0w or TinyUmbrella or any other application that deals with retrieving and sending blobs can allow you to save your blobs on both clean and jailbroken iOS devices. If you jailbroke your device, it'll be on Cydia's servers.

Okay. I was able to jailbreak the 3GS phone. When I checked cydia, the SHSH available is iOS 4.1 and 6.01 only. Could I upgrade it to 5.0 or 5.1 or 5.1.1? How? Thanks.

You can't restore to iOS 5 unless you have blobs on Cydia or saved manually when the iOS was being signed. There are no methods to bypass it or generate them now that the signing window is closed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk &#63743;