What's new

iphone 3g wont power off

Well Im stuck at the it says DFU failed Im guessing because when I hold the buttons it tells me to do nothing is happening.Says no device detected you might not of understood the instructions.I went over it a few times same thing.I cant shut the phone off it wont let when it says to.

Is it at the restoring point that you are facing this issue? Or it's at the jailbreaking part? Sorry for my late reply, i was away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did all the restore then went on to the next step it ends up asking you to shut the phone off well i cant it wont let me.Anyway around this?

I backed up now i run redsnow then to install cydia thats where it asked me to shut phone off

And what happen when you push donw the power button? It also doesn't show the slider to off the phone? If yes then you will have to restore again. Update your itunes to the latest version, after itunes update finish restart your computer, and then restore again your iOS.

Or then if a restore didn't even help solving the power off issue then it seems to be a hardware issue. You will have to go to a repair center to fix the power button. And to continue with the jailbreaking, to put phone into DFU mode without the power button, follow these steps:
1.) First download the required archive file here

2.) Extract the archive to the root of your hard drive, should be C:/DFU/

3.) Connect your iPhone and ignore
iTunes

4.) Goto Start - run

5.) Next type in c:/dfu/dfu.iBSS.m68ap.RELEASE.dfu

6.) Wait for iPhone to show a white screen.So you are in DFU mode...

Last edited:
Or then if a restore didn't even help solving the power off issue then it seems to be a hardware issue. You will have to go to a repair center to fix the power button. And to continue with the jailbreaking, to put phone into DFU mode without the power button, follow these steps:
1.) First download the required archive file here

2.) Extract the archive to the root of your hard drive, should be C:/DFU/

3.) Connect your iPhone and ignore
iTunes

4.) Goto Start - run

5.) Next type in c:/dfu/dfu.iBSS.m68ap.RELEASE.dfu

6.) Wait for iPhone to show a white screen.So you are in DFU mode...

Im trying this when I type in run

c:/dfu/dfu.iBSS.m68ap.RELEASE.dfu

Says cant be found am I doing something wrong?

Please bare with me this is my first time but it all looks self explanitory really not sure what im doing wrong lol thanks you for the help.

Also like to add after I restored the phone now version says 4.2.1

Last edited:
Try to use the cmd with admin priviledge. When u tap in the search bar within the start panel "cmd" press ctrl + shift + enter the dos window will open and you will then be able to run that command up there.

Try to use the cmd with admin priviledge. When u tap in the search bar within the start panel "cmd" press ctrl + shift + enter the dos window will open and you will then be able to run that command up there.

Hey buddy thank you for all your help but I tried that and it says its not recognized as an internal or external command.Im running windows 7 64 bit and tried running things as admin and im still getting the same thing.I guess if i need to buy a new phone I will i just traded this one for an old 8800 GT graphics card even.I wanted an iphone for years but didnt want to spend that cash on it and pay for the crap they have out.Thought id get one where I can use on a prepaid as they say ;)

Last edited:
No your main issue at the moment is that you can not put the device into DFU mode, and the reason why it can't go into DFU mode is because your power button is defective. Actually i do not have a 3g with me here as the codes i gave you are for 3g only so that i can't run it on my device otherwise. Now that those codes fail to put your phone in DFU mode, only one way to go for you is to fix the power button. That should be the best solution and the most easiest.

No your main issue at the moment is that you can not put the device into DFU mode, and the reason why it can't go into DFU mode is because your power button is defective. Actually i do not have a 3g with me here as the codes i gave you are for 3g only so that i can't run it on my device otherwise. Now that those codes fail to put your phone in DFU mode, only one way to go for you is to fix the power button. That should be the best solution and the most easiest.

Where would you suggest getting one fixed if i had to send it in?I havent even looked or know of any around here,Im sure there is but I want it done right.Thanks again
Im wondering if this is something i can order parts and do myself Im good with my hands lol I just havent looked anything up yet.

Last edited:
If u have never done it before, then it's bettet going to a repair center unless you want to start repairing yourself and get some experience. I wouldn't do it by myself anyway. I don't know where u are, so i can't tell u where to go other than locating an apple store near by your location or any mobile iphone repair center which you can find near by.

Ok so it is my button thats wrong.If I picnh my fingers together pretty hard and can get the phone off.So now since it says Im 4.2.1 do I still use the same firmware you posted in the first post?

Ok so it is my button thats wrong.If I picnh my fingers together pretty hard and can get the phone off.So now since it says Im 4.2.1 do I still use the same firmware you posted in the first post?

You want to downgrade your firmware? To which version?

You want to downgrade your firmware? To which version?

Thats what Im asking I have no Idea I want to be able to use simple mobile so which one will work.

I cant get redsnow to reconize 3.2.1 maybe im trying the wrong one.

Redsnow is for jailbreaking your phone, and you can't seem to do that since you can't put your phone into DFU mode.
To downgrade your iOS you will need to use iTunes. Download manually your ipsw 3.2.1 from internet, plug your phone to your computer and open itunes, in the summary tab which shows your phone information, you will see a "restore" button. Press down and keep "shift" key on your keyboard and click "restore" a dialog window will popup, use that window to locate the ipsw 3.2.1 you downloaded from internet. Follow the on screen instruction and perform the downgrade.

I keep getting a couldnt restore 1015 error :(

To fix that error do the following:
Make sure that your itunes is close

1. Go to C drive and look for Windows folder, then System32 followed by drivers and then finally etc folder

C:\Windows\System32\drivers \etc

2. In the etc folder you can see hosts file.

3. Open the hosts file using notepad and remove the following lines that says Ags.apple.com

4. Restart your computer and perform the downgrade again.

If that error show up again, look for "error fixer tool" by googling. Download it and follow instructions.

Last edited: