What's new

IPhone 3 won't factory default

ComxOz

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to forums all together. But here goes, I'm Craig, I've recently moved from Oz to Indonesia to live. One of my new friends here gave me his IPhone 3 to try and fix for him as I foolishly told him I am an ex IT nurd for many years.

Info about phone: Its a IPhone 3, 32 gig, Model No A1303. Instead of the apple logo it has a snow flake icon with the bite out of it and the leaf at the top. So I assume it has a hacked version of something on it instead of the original OS.

I brought down a couple versions of the appropriate IPSW files for it Iphone2,1_3.0_7A341 and 2.1_6.1.6_10B500

But when I try and go into restore mode in ITunes it will only ever say that the iPhone is locked and you need the passcode to get in. The user doesn't know the passcode he tells me, so I'm stuck. I've tried many google searches with no luck on any of the suggestions.

Oh yes the ITunes version is 12.2.2.25 64 bit, running on Windows 10
Any idea's.

If restoring the phone by using recovery mode works, you'll have a working iPhone on iOS 6.1.6, the highest supported iOS version for the iPhone 3.

Welcome to iPhoneForums, Craig!

If you can't restore it, use recovery mode:
If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
This will remove the passcode, so it should be possible to use it afterwards.

Hope that helps.

Yes I had seen this article and tried it with no success. I tried this already, I connect the IPhone 3 to my computer which I setup a new profile for under windows 10. ITunes see's the device and says its locked by pin and you need to unlock it. I hold down the two buttons forever, it toggles to the shutdown phone selection and if I do nothing will sit at this stage for more than 20 mins my hands gave up at this stage. I'm a softy haha. If I swipe the shutdown selection the phone shuts down and after a while restarts with the snowflake icon which then stays there again for ever or until my fingers give up. So ITunes never gets to the restore or update screen. ? As I'm in the backwaters of Indonesia there's no apple shops around.