What's new

iOS8 and Data Usage

Interesting....I am sitting at home and my phone is connected to wifi. I reset the statistics under System Services in the Cellular settings. In 15 minutes "Siri" used 3.2KB of data. Now why is that? I am not using Siri and I am connected to wifi. To be honest, I have not been very impressed with Siri anyway.

Edit: I did some googling and didn't realize, but apparently Siri regularly connects with Apple servers to sync content, making it more likely to use data.
This might be the answer to my increased data usage. I have never, ever used Siri, and always had it turned off. However, per your post, I just checked Settings and Siri was turned ON. If somehow the iOS8 install turned it on and it's using data in the background that I'm unaware of, then that would explain things. Anyway, I turned it OFF and will see what happens next billing period.

Im surprised that there's no way you can find out what's using your data. I did just google "app what's using my data" & there seem to be apps available through i tunes. The other option would possibly be through you network provider. I'm on ee, the app is excellent & tells you how much data you've used & many days are left till your billing date, so you know accurately how much your bill is going to cost. If your going over though I quite often find its cheaper to increase your data before hand rather than have to pay for it after as it's far more expensive, I realise that if you don't know that your going over that's difficult but that's where the apps come in handy.

Mike A

Im surprised that there's no way you can find out what's using your data. I did just google "app what's using my data" & there seem to be apps available through i tunes. The other option would possibly be through you network provider. I'm on ee, the app is excellent & tells you how much data you've used & many days are left till your billing date, so you know accurately how much your bill is going to cost. If your going over though I quite often find its cheaper to increase your data before hand rather than have to pay for it after as it's far more expensive, I realise that if you don't know that your going over that's difficult but that's where the apps come in handy.

Mike A
The iphone tells you how much data you are using as well as what is updating in the background and how much battery use each app is using in the last 24 hours and the last 7 days. In addition, most network providers have a means of telling you you various usage. For instance under settings>phone>Scroll down to the bottom of the page and I find AT & T Services. This gives me 4 digit numbers to "dial" and get a text from AT&T about how much data or minutes or whatever I am asking about that I have used. The also all have apps for your account services.

This might be the answer to my increased data usage. I have never, ever used Siri, and always had it turned off. However, per your post, I just checked Settings and Siri was turned ON. If somehow the iOS8 install turned it on and it's using data in the background that I'm unaware of, then that would explain things. Anyway, I turned it OFF and will see what happens next billing period.

There is a way in iOS 8.0.2 just tap Settings - Cellular and scroll down to the list of apps. Under each app it shows how much data it's used since the last time you reset the statistics. If you want to see how much data the system services use, just tap it and likewise it shows that on the next screen.

On my iPhone 5c my biggest data users since my last reset on Oct 13, 2014 are:

Chrome 53.8 MB
Facebook 31.8 MB
Argus 15.7 MB
System Services 16.1 MB (this includes all system services)
Siri 596 KB

The thing is I don't use the FaceBook app that often, yet it's one of the biggest consumers of my cellular data. Now there are toggles next to each app that are supposed to restrict that app from using your cellular data and only use WiFi. I haven't tried that yet so I don't know how well that works.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I have a iPhone 5c story you would love to read I just I done writing awhile ago your will find very interesting look under iPhone 5c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Facebook is a big user if data. Keep location services turned off as well as background app refresh. Try to only use Facebook on wifi. Those videos that run on the newsfeed will eat data.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Facebook is a big user if data. Keep location services turned off as well as background app refresh. Try to only use Facebook on wifi. Those videos that run on the newsfeed will eat data.

Well you can turn off the auto play for videos in the app. To do so just start the Facebook app, then at the bottom of the screen tap on more in the lower right corner. On the next screen scroll all the way down to find the settings section and tap on settings, next tap on videos and there you'll find the toggle that turns off the auto play for videos.

Well you can turn off the auto play for videos in the app. To do so just start the Facebook app, then at the bottom of the screen tap on more in the lower right corner. On the next screen scroll all the way down to find the settings section and tap on settings, next tap on videos and there you'll find the toggle that turns off the auto play for videos.

So that's what they did with that option. It used to be in Settings >Facebook in the phone's settings. Thanks!