What's new

iOS8 and Data Usage

jen2440

Reaction score
I am a very low volume user and for many years have gotten by with 200 phone minutes and 3G of data. In 10 years I think I went over my data limit once. My usage habits haven't changed at all, but now, after updating to IOS8 I have gone over my limit every month. This is on an iPhone 5.

Is there any connection between my data usage and the new iOS?

I keep Mobile Data turned off and i find this helps.

If you look under cellular, you can turn off things that might run in the background. You can also check what is using your cellular data. I would also suggest you turn off "background app refresh". You will have to update apps manually, but that's no big deal.

Settings>Cellular>Use Cellular Data for... turn off any not needed
Settings>Cellular>System Services (this is at the very bottom of page)
Settings>General>Background App Refresh>Off
Settings>iTunes and App Store>under automatic downloads turn off "Use Cellular Data"

Sometimes after upgrading the operating system, the OS itself starts upgrading all the app updates, and thus the consumption of data increases. It's better to keep your cellular data off whenever you don't need it, that will help in saving your data usage.

Sometimes after upgrading the operating system, the OS itself starts upgrading all the app updates, and thus the consumption of data increases. It's better to keep your cellular data off whenever you don't need it, that will help in saving your data usage.

Thanks for the feedback. I already do much of what has been recommended here - kill apps after use, flag apps I don't want to use cellular data, keep Location Services off, etc. however, it sounds like I should routinely turn off Cellular Data so there isn't something going on in the background I'm not aware of. Thanks again.

I would also suggest you turn off "background app refresh". You will have to update apps manually,"
"background App Refresh" and "Auto App Update" are two different things. At any rate, they should both be turned off. :)

"background App Refresh" and "Auto App Update" are two different things. At any rate, they should both be turned off. :)
Well, perhaps that is true when you are not in a wifi area, cold explain to me some of my unknown data usage. But having it set to use data usage does not apply if you are using WiFi
I keep Mobile Data turned off and i find this helps.
If you turn Mobile data off you cannot use visual voicemail. I found that to be frustrating, I couldn't get the message notification off without doing a phone reset.

I find this to be true also since I updated to iOS 8, and I have "everything" turned off/manual. My data usage has increased buy at least 25% with iOS 8.0.2. I dunno, but maybe I'm just using my iPhone more because I like the update so much.....SMILE

Interesting....I am sitting at home and my phone is connected to wifi. I reset the statistics under System Services in the Cellular settings. In 15 minutes "Siri" used 3.2KB of data. Now why is that? I am not using Siri and I am connected to wifi. To be honest, I have not been very impressed with Siri anyway.

Edit: I did some googling and didn't realize, but apparently Siri regularly connects with Apple servers to sync content, making it more likely to use data.

Last edited:
Interesting....I am sitting at home and my phone is connected to wifi. I reset the statistics under System Services in the Cellular settings. In 15 minutes "Siri" used 3.2KB of data. Now why is that? I am not using Siri and I am connected to wifi. To be honest, I have not been very impressed with Siri anyway.

Edit: I did some googling and didn't realize, but apparently Siri regularly connects with Apple servers to sync content, making it more likely to use data.
I went into Settings>Cellular>I scrolled down to System Services, went into that and Siri is at 161 kv. I am assuming that is since I set up the phone on the 5th. I have used Siri once or twice and she has turned herself on for no reason a few times but it seems like your Siri is far more active than mine.

I went into Settings>Cellular>I scrolled down to System Services, went into that and Siri is at 161 kv. I am assuming that is since I set up the phone on the 5th. I have used Siri once or twice and she has turned herself on for no reason a few times but it seems like your Siri is far more active than mine.

That would be explained by our "current periods" being different. Unless I am thinking wrong, the data period would be reset per your billing cycle

That would be explained by our "current periods" being different. Unless I am thinking wrong, the data period would be reset per your billing cycle
Actually , it's even more confusing. I looked again, it says that number is since last reset of Sept. 20, which was when I reset my IP5, so some of that usage looks like it was carried over from 3 weeks of IP5 use. I think, we are going to have to wait a month or so for everything to sort out, what with all the IOS updates I know longer think I know what's normal for this phone.

I just returned to Verizon after being with T-Mobile. It seems there is a slight increase in data usage with the iPhone 6, IOS 8.02 but nothing I would consider significant. Don't forget IOS 8.1 coming on Monday. That should increase the confusion. :)

I am a very low volume user and for many years have gotten by with 200 phone minutes and 3G of data. In 10 years I think I went over my data limit once. My usage habits haven't changed at all, but now, after updating to IOS8 I have gone over my limit every month. This is on an iPhone 5.

Is there any connection between my data usage and the new iOS?

I have noticed more data usage on the iPhone 6 then on my Android.
Using 100mb in 2 days, take note that 4G isn't allways on!!
I mostly turn it off when finished....