What's new

iOS5 free or pay?

greggrind

Reaction score
Havent found anything to answer my wondering mind but is iOS5 free for us to upgrade to on the 4 Or are we paying for it? If so how much?

Id assume its free, but what do i know.... haha

Sent from The Droid... The one you were looking for...

Its only for developers at this point but when the new iphone comes out it will be available for everyone for free. It will come to you as an update just like all the rest.

I haven't found anything but I'd like to know. I know it's OTA but not sure if we have to pay.

I've never paid for an upgrade since having the very first iPhone 2G

Thought that if you own an "iPhone" then you don't have to pay, but if you own an iPod touch then you do?

I remember for the ipod touch you used to have to pay I think it was $10 for major updates but with the iphone you have never had to pay to upgrade firmwares and never will do either.

Unleashed said:
I remember for the ipod touch you used to have to pay I think it was $10 for major updates but with the iphone you have never had to pay to upgrade firmwares and never will do either.

Now that I think about it. That's right. I had the 1st gen. iPod touch and I had to pay. I thought it was for both. Guess I'm wrong

Unleashed said:

Now that I think about it. That's right. I had the 1st gen. iPod touch and I had to pay. I thought it was for both. Guess I'm wrong

Well the thing is that the ipod touch users never had a monthly bill to pay and the iphone there was no such thing as a factory unlocked device in 2007 and afaik not many countries had it on pay as you go if any at all, so for that reason apple decided to charge ipod touch users and not the iphone users which worked out well for us iphone users lol because the iphone has the ipod feature there Just not the same amount of space you can get with the ipod touch. Until ios 5 where you have two separate icons (video and music) instead of ipod.

Unleashed said:
Well the thing is that the ipod touch users never had a monthly bill to pay and the iphone there was no such thing as a factory unlocked device in 2007 and afaik not many countries had it on pay as you go if any at all, so for that reason apple decided to charge ipod touch users and not the iphone users which worked out well for us iphone users lol because the iphone has the ipod feature there Just not the same amount of space you can get with the ipod touch. Until ios 5 where you have two separate icons (video and music) instead of ipod.

+1....