What's new

icloud and ios5 problems! Tale of woh! Help please :)

crowd pleaser

Reaction score
OK, updated my ipad2 after 2 attempts, set it to sync to iCloud -wonderful.

After several hours including a single near 5 hour stint I finally got the ios5 on my iphone4, but then I'm told I have not enough space in iCloud for the full restore having used 4.4 GB, and iCloud only comes with 5GB.

So my restore partially failed dumping all my music and notes :(.

1) I read elsewhere that we were to get an extra 20gb free for a short period, (which you can pay for to keep later), so is that true?

2) assuming it's not so, I'm stuck in the position of now having ios5 but no current ios5 backup, so how can I at this stage alter back to use PC?

3) if I go to settings/mail contacts calendars, the accounts section has 2 of my email addresses and now a new iCloud entry, but this including the fetch New Data box is all greyed out, not allowing me access to alter it.

Ok, I could reset the phone back to default and start again, but I have a life to lead and would rather not waste another day or so, so any idea's?

Tbh suicide is looking very attractive right now!!

Update:
Apple support were no use

Got over the greyed out accounts set up problem doing a 'reset all settings', kept all my stuff just had to rearrange icons as I had them, also insert WiFi key.

Used iCloud for windows deleted iPad backup.

In iTunes/info reset sync back to computer which then did a latest backup to my NAS as normal.

Tbh I'm no longer using iCloud, for imho the slight gains are not worth the hassles.

iCloud looks good on paper but more and more are finding it more hassle than a breeze! I'm sure it'll come good once everyone has shot it to pieces and apple doctor it accordingly!

iHolophyte said:
iCloud looks good on paper but more and more are finding it more hassle than a breeze! I'm sure it'll come good once everyone has shot it to pieces and apple doctor it accordingly!

I think it was unwise to vaunt icloud as a backup method at the launch of ios5, this just made network traffic much higher than needed to be.

Common sense would be to install the new iOS then get users to switch to iCloud surely? Thus saving a considerable strain on their servers and customer services, just seemed so short sighted :(.