What's new

How much free space required on iPhone 5 to update to 7.1

Puzzled

Reaction score
I would like to update my iPhone 5 to 7.1 (currently has the latest update before this one). Not able to connect to iTunes for now but am on WiFi. How much free space so I need? I have 3GB free. Do I need to wait until I can connect to iTunes. Always have done it over the air previously.

Tried Googling for this info but have not found the exact answer.

Thanks

After plugging your iPhone into the charger start the download. If you don't have enough free storage the download will stop and you will get a message telling you how much free space you need. Free up at least that amount and start the download again.

If you perform an OTA update, it'll eat up 500MB of your storage upfront that you won't get back. If possible, I'd recommend downloading the 7.1 firmware file for your device, then hold Shift (Windows) or Command (Mac OS) then click on "Check for Updates" in iTunes. Your data will still be intact (though you should always backup your device periodically or performing any type of system changes like updating) afterwards, and it won't eat your 500MB.

I was able to do it with 3.3 cleared by deleting some photos. It took about 45 mins and it was plugged in. Sit it over the air. Thanks everyone.