What's new

iOS4 Out Monday!!! After install post your first thoughts here!

no only the ipod touch users gets charged for majour updates and maybe ipad? not sure about ipad but all iphones versions get it free well apart from the original iphone it does not get it at all

iOS 4 is free for all devices including iPod touch. It will be a little bit crippled though.

really? where did you hear that?

in all my years of using iproducts ive always been told its 9.99 to upgrade, im glad they took off the charge

hell yes:D im not sure if i will upgrade to 4.0 though.. just 3 more days until we get the iphone 4:DDD

Got it, and the mailbox IS cool. Haven't had a chance to really check out the other features, and not even sure what they all are just yet (I have the 2nd gen iPhone 3G). The download took about 10 minutes, and the installation, with backup and restore was another 35 or 40 minutes, but smooth sailing.

I think i'll keep my jailbreak for now. Wednesday night is camp-out night anyways. 58 hours till I go line up =]

in all my years of using iproducts ive always been told its 9.99 to upgrade, im glad they took off the charge

They announced that on the keynote. Steve Jobs said they finally figured out a way to distribute the new iOS 4 to touch users for free.

Here's the changelog.

- Multitasking support for third-party apps*
- Multitasking user interface to quickly move between apps
- Support for audio apps to play in the background
- VoIP apps can receive and maintain calls in the background or when device is asleep
- Apps can monitor location and take action while running in the background
- Alerts and messages can be pushed to apps using push and local notifications
- Apps can complete tasks in the background
- Folders to better organize and access apps
- Home screen Wallpaper*
- Mail improvements
- Unified inbox to view emails from all accounts in one place
- Fast inbox switching to quickly switch between different email accounts
- Threaded messages to view multiple emails from the same conversation
- Attachments can be opened with compatible third- party apps
- Search results can now be filed or deleted
- Option to select size of photo attachments
- Messages in the Outbox can be edited or deleted
- Support for iBooks and iBookstore (available from the App Store)
- Photo and Camera improvements
- 5x digital zoom when taking a photo**
- Tap to focus during video recording**
- Ability to sync Faces from iPhoto
- Geo-tagged photos appear on a map in Photos
- Ability to create and edit playlists on device
- Calendar invitations can be sent and accepted wirelessly with supported CalDAV servers
- Support for MobileMe calendar sharing
- Suggestions and recent searches appear during a web search
- Searchable SMS/MMS messages**
- Spotlight search can be continued on web and Wikipedia
- Enhanced location privacy
- New Location Services icon in the status bar
- Indication of which apps have requested your location in the last 24 hours
- Location Services can be toggled on or off for individual apps
- Automatic spellcheck
- Support for Bluetooth keyboards*
- iPod out to navigate music, podcasts and audiobooks through an iPod interface with compatible cars
- Support for iTunes gifting of apps
- Wireless notes syncing with IMAP-based mail accounts
- Persistent WiFi connection to receive push notifications*
- New setting for turning on/off cellular data only**
- Option to display the character count while composing new SMS/MMS**
- Visual Voicemail messages can be kept locally even if they have been deleted from the server**
- Control to lock portrait orientation*
- Audio playback controls for iPod and third-party audio apps*
- New languages, dictionaries and keyboards
- Accessibility enhancements*
- Bluetooth improvements
- Better data protection using the device passcode as an encryption key* (Requires full restore)
- Support for third-party Mobile Device Management solutions
- Enables wireless distribution of enterprise applications
- Exchange Server 2010 compatibility
- Support for multiple Exchange ActiveSync accounts
- Support for Juniper Junos Pulse and Cisco AnyConnect SSL VPN apps (available from the App Store)
- More than 1,500 new developer APIs

I think i'll keep my jailbreak for now. Wednesday night is camp-out night anyways. 58 hours till I go line up =]
Yup, same here, I advertised mine on ebay as jailbroke and will just wait until it arrives on Thursday. And, I don't work Thursday so that is very cool too.

AHHHHH....so nice to have 3 pages of APPS vs. 11!!!
So far my favorite feature...have not really even had time to Multi-Task!

So far no trouble for update my 3Gs & 3G wifey … now enjoy 3 pages of app’s instead of 11 … Multi tasking work nice just my Home button need to be changed i guess … but work fine for me until i got my Iphone 4

Also upgrade iBooks and enjoy PDF in my iPhone & iPad

They announced that on the keynote. Steve Jobs said they finally figured out a way to distribute the new iOS 4 to touch users for free.

good news for ipod touch users i guess then :D finally they get a majour update free

really your not going to upgrade to save your jb? dev team never take long to release jb. i read theyw here waiting for 4.0 to release so i bet any day now.

all four one!
Around an hour ago the new version of the iPhone Operating System (now called ‘iOS’) was released.
iOS 4 is a huge release for Apple with many many changes and those changes offer slick additional features.
These new features are being offered by Apple as a free upgrade to qualifying devices.
We are working hard on a release to our tools that will jailbreak your device (or give you iOS 4 via the jailbreak train) and provide you with a carrier unlock.
Until these tools are released you should hold off on updating your device until we have fully tested our tools with all the relevant devices.
If you rely on hacktivation or a carrier unlock (ultrasn0w) then you should not upgrade until we have fully tested and released our tools.
Don’t be tempted with unofficial PwnageTool/redsn0w bundles or releases, just check here or our team twitter for real time release information.
Remember, we risk our devices so you don’t have to (but this time anyone who has made a mistake upgrading their baseband firmware should be OK real soon ;) Now! :)

Update #1: redsn0w beta has been updated to hacktivate iOS 4.0 for iPhone3G (in addition to jailbreaking the iPhone3G and iPod Touch 2G). The download links for redsn0w 0.9.5b5-3 are:

For now, the redsn0w beta release supports only the iPhone3G and iPod Touch 2G at today’s 4.0. It’s still a beta, so you’ll need to let Cydia reorganize, reload, and update after using redsn0w.