What's new

IOS update and now "no service"

tumble2209

Reaction score
Hi. I have recently updated an iphone 7 to the latest IOS (12.1.2) and now it shows "no service". I cannot seem to find an earlier IOS i can reload on it. Do you think if i wait for a later IOS, that will work. Or is my phone a brick now?. It is out of warranty as well. What comes up on the phone no is an exclamation mark and it say's "unable to activate phone", an update is required to activate your phone. This is what came up when i tried to reset it. Let me know if anyone has any ideas of what i can try. Many thanks, Gary.

If you can still use it, go to the Settings app and select General - About. If your carrier settings need an update, you‘ll get an option to update there.

Thanks for reply. Because I tried resetting it, it won’t go past activation screen. Says it needs an update. I thought that if I wait for another update, I might be able to put it in DFU mode and update it there

Take the SIM card out of the tray and insert it again. If that doest help, try a different SIM card, if possible.

Usually, iTunes will also update your carrier settings, if necessary. No idea if that will happen when the iPhone can‘t be activated.

Last edited:
I tried that, but it has the warning triangle with the exclamation mark inside and the words “no service” in the top left corner. It displays that with or without a Simcard . Thanks.

You may need to get a new SIM card from your carrier. Should not cost you anything if you take it to them and let them diagnose the issue. Not sure what carrier you have?? But it’s worth a shot to either try what J.A. has listed or visit your local carriers shop.

I agree with J.A.: contact your carrier. Also contact Apple Support.

Isn’t it possible that the carrier went down for a bit?

I had the same issue with my 5S, still no luck, Apple store says it is a hardware failure but they cannot identify what piece is broken nor can they send it off since it is too old