What's new

IOS 6 and Google Maps

Tricon7

Reaction score
I just upgraded to IOS 6 with my iPhone 4, and now Google Maps is gone. I really, really like and depended on it, but I don't see it as an app in the App Store that I can download to get back. I don't like the Apple maps app, nor do I care to use it. Is there a way to get Google Maps back?

Here is another option.

There are two kinds of apps:
1. Native apps
2. Browser apps

Regular Google maps (the same one that you use on a desktop/laptop) is a browser app and can run in most browsers on most smartphones, iPads, iPods, laptops, desktops, etc. This includes running on devices driven by iOS6. Your browser has to be online in order for a browser app to work. Just start your browser and do a search for “google maps” and there it is.

Gmap4 is an enhanced version of Google maps that can also display high resolution topographic maps (choose “t4 Topo High”) for almost anyplace in the USA. Vector topographic maps can be displayed for all of Canada. Just like regular Google maps, the Gmap4 browser app runs in most browsers on most devices, including iOS6.

This project is part of my way to ‘pay it forward’. Translation: Gmap4 is free for non-commercial use.

The Gmap4 homepage has a FAQ, examples, quick start info (in the Help file), a link to the latest beta code (improved geolocation) and more to quickly get you up to speed.

Gmap4 default map: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php

Gmap4 homepage: Gmap4 = Free Online Topographic Maps + Google Maps + More

MappingSupport homepage: PropertyLineMaps and Gmap4 - GPS coordinates from property legal descriptions

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy
Redmond, WA

When I typed this is Safari it said bad link.

That's odd. There plenty of hits from Safari on the Gmap4 server log.

Gmap4 uses the Google map API (application program interface). This API supports the following browsers:

• IE 7.0+ (Windows) *
  • Firefox 3.0+ (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux)
  • Safari 4+ (Mac OS X, iOS)
  • Chrome (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux)
  • Android
  • BlackBerry 6
  • Dolfin 2.0+ (Samsung Bada)
If your Safari is prior to v4 then it is not supported. Sorry.

Here are instructions for finding out what version of Safari you are running:

***Moderator notice: please no twitter links...please read the rules....***

Last edited by a moderator:
Apple maps has gotten better and I find my self going to it a lot as its FAST.

Another option is Motion X GPS which has a huge feature set, integrates well with Contacts and has traffic.

Not sure what part of Google Maps you found useful (it''s very good) but I think Apple is getting there.

We have launched a maps app last week that uses google maps. It's called 'Sparkling Maps', and it offers the google maps map details as well as specific google maps features such as streetview. We have also added turn by turn navigation, which was never there in the original google maps app.

We have just submitted a universal version of the app, so it will work on high definition on the iPad as well as on any iPhone or iPod. It has also been optimized for the iPhone 5 screen.

Check it out at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sparkling-maps/id566285550?mt=8

Any comments or suggestions are very welcome! We aim to make this the killer alternative to Apple maps. Apple maps may be getting better, but still.. Try planning a route between massive cities such as Delhi or Beijing, and Apple maps will simply say 'not found'!

We are counting on google to improve their features fast as well, and will support those in our app whenever they become available.

I note with interest today that iCloud still uses Google Maps for its "Find My Phone" feature. Weird. I thought they hated Google?

We have launched a maps app last week that uses google maps. It's called 'Sparkling Maps'
So, can I ask Siri where my local McDonald's is, and have your app direct me to it with Siri's answer? If not, your app is useless to me, as I can't talk to get things done.

I note with interest today that iCloud still uses Google Maps for its "Find My Phone" feature. Weird. I thought they hated Google?

They do... but on the other hand they probably want the 'Find My iPhone' feature to actually work! :)

Well, no, Sparkling Maps will not be registered as the 'default' maps app on your iPhone, so Siri would use Apple maps on iOS6. We do have an alternative to Siri as well, though, we developed the app 'Voice Answer' a few months ago, which is a good substitute and which we can point to use Sparkling Maps. So where there is a will..

Apple has cancelled Google Maps and they wont let you to install it manually in updated OS version.

I own a Tom Tom but i love waze!! It has people warning about police hiding LOL awesome!