What's new

iOS 5.0.1 seems WORSE on battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.

SledgeHammer01

Reaction score
Was 94% pre-download, 92% post install, down to 85% an hour later after an email check or two, a 30 second phone call and a few minutes of game play. Using wifi on at&t.

EDIT: posted this at 1:17pm... 20 mins later down to 81% lol w/ minimal usage.

Last edited:
SledgeHammer01 said:
Was 94% pre-download, 92% post install, down to 85% an hour later after an email check or two, a 30 second phone call and a few minutes of game play. Using wifi on at&t.

EDIT: posted this at 1:17pm... 20 mins later down to 81% lol w/ minimal usage.

That doesn't sound that bad and I say that because I believe you are exaggerating a little to prove a point.

> checking emails - what does that really mean? One or two accounts?
> 30 second phone call? 3G? Is your phone struggling for signal?
> a few minutes of game play? MC3 or cut the rope?

My point is not to argue but challenge how much are you getting your device to do and under what circumstance.

I gained an extra % by opening the app - perhaps it is a software issue ..... Still?

Attachments

• $image-3383399185.jpg
    $image-3383399185.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 539
  • $image-1272411081.jpg
    $image-1272411081.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 560
Please give it a few days or even a week to do testing also always do a reset of the iPhone after you have updated it

Please give it a few days or even a week to do testing also always do a reset of the iPhone after you have updated it

When you say reset do you mean a hard reset by holding the power button and the home button till the apple logo appears?

Lol :)...

Yeah, I'm not really exagerating. I have 2 pop3 accounts set up on my phone for a manual poll. I checked it 2 or 3 times. My 30 second phone call was in fact 43 seconds. Its 3G. For data, I'm on Wifi. Few minutes of game play = roughly 5 mins. I was playing "The Worlds Hardest Game". I also brought up GT Racing to show a co-worker for a few seconds. So really, I'm not pumling this thing at all. My email checks usually result in 1 or 2 emails if that. No videos, no music. Screen gets locked after 1 min.

I did NOT turn off any of the location services. I disabled it for a few apps. Also have bluetooth enabled.

Posting this response at 4:38pm now and my battery is down to 67%.

I'm only comparing this to my battery life on 5.0. My usage has not changed day to day and I usually do not get down below 70% during a work day unless I really hammer it. Now I've got an hour left in my day and I'm already at 67%.

My co-worker is also reporting worse performance on her 4s.

Everything works fine with my update battery life seems to be about the same for me before the update. I never had a battery problem to begin with though.

My battery life is much better post upgrade. I was using maps for 2x 45 minute trip today and using Siri to compose text messages via Bluetooth during the drive. Taking photos once I reached destination for at least 2 hours including some video. One 20 min phone call and still at 81% when I type this.

When I first got my 4s, it was about the same as my 3s on battery life. I improved it a bit by turning off unnecessary location service. It was then noticeably better than my 3s.

After the 5.01 update, it is much much much worse. Would be nice to back out the update.

yes there is not much difference is battery performence post update.......though due to some reason the phn is a little laggy......

This update did not resolve my battery problem, I think my iPad 2 battery is now affected by the update.

I was losing about 5-6% overnight on the battery (all apps closed). Upgraded last night and charged full. This morning it is at 100%.

So far so good!

I finally depleted the battery. Took all day of really using the iPhone for everything. That alone tells me that the battery life is about double of my 3GS.

After charging the battery, it still seems to drop much faster than expected. I wonder if this is more of an inaccurate battery calculation than poor battery performance.

just going through the phone drops a percent in minutes. i mean come on

Status
Not open for further replies.