What's new

iOS 4.1 update doesn't fix antenna issue, nobody's surprised

wuyanks

Super Moderator
Reaction score
2e58405.jpg

Apple promised that a future software update should fix the death grip antenna issue. And since an update was just pushed to developers (iOS 4.1), what would logically be the first thing to be tested? Indeed, the "death grip" antenna issue. And MobileCrunch took it upon themselves to do just that. With iOS 4.1 fired up, MobileCrunch quickly finds that the antenna issue was not fixed whatsoever. From the video below, you can see that three bars quickly diminish to one, as a tester gropes the iPhone 4 in those unforgiving spots.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F6Qzf4foUI&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Remember, with those dropped bars, would likely come dropped calls and lousy reception. Other reports do indicate that the iOS 4.1 update fixes the bar display errors, which is what Steve Jobs technically promised, but remember this has nothing to do with the "death grip" hardware flaw. So I guess our last hope will be to sit front-and-center on Friday 10AM PT for the "Antenna" Press Conference, and pray that folks over at Cupertino present us with a solution to this mess.

Source: MobileCrunch

since when was 4.1 released? but i never had an antenna issue... and i think they did say some time ago it would not fix it for those who have it, so its either buy a bumper or live with it.? or dont hold it that way :/ bad move on apples part they they just deny it instead of fixing peoples problems

just checked again on itunes and there is no 4.1.. this must be a beta or something

Last edited:
since when was 4.1 released? but i never had an antenna issue... and i think they did say some time ago it would not fix it for those who have it, so its either buy a bumper or live with it.? or dont hold it that way :/ bad move on apples part they they just deny it instead of fixing peoples problems

just checked again on itunes and there is no 4.1.. this must be a beta or something

Yes it is beta. All phones have this issue.... Just hard to get it to show unless your in a lousy signal area. But like you I haven't had any bad or dropped calls.

me either.. and what doy ou expect from a beta copy of it?lol but i doubt the final version will fix it either maybe it will make it less bad but i doubt fix it..

I'm pretty sure it's going to be the same as the 4.1. Just like the last beta for 4.0 was the same build as the one released. My guess build 8b5080c will be the final one.... (just a hunch tho)

Every phone I've had sense they took away the pull out antenna has done that. If you hold it just right you could get a better signal and if you hold it just wrong it would get worse, what's the big f-n deal?

Every phone I've had sense they took away the pull out antenna has done that. If you hold it just right you could get a better signal and if you hold it just wrong it would get worse, what's the big f-n deal?

My opinion exactly... :)

I've only had my iPhone for 2 days, and I've had 3 instances where my call was dropped because I was holding it that way. The big deal is that with past phones, I've maybe had signal degradation, but not to the point of completely dropping calls.

Personally I just want them to fix the problem however they see fit, I don't care if it's a free bumper or a replacement phone. I've also been effected by the proximity issue. I accidentally 3-way called a local pizza restaurant while I was on the line with customer service from AT&T yesterday. (Internet service, not phone.)

I'm not one of those freaking out or demanding money back or a lawsuit, but I would like for the $400 phone I just purchased to work without me having to worry where I put my hand or how close I hold the phone to my face.

so whats new in 4.1 anyway? would be nice to see ichat? but that seems like a major update for 5.0 i bet the 3gs wont have it and the 4 and 5 will lol

One of the news sites is claiming the 4.1 has fixed the proximity sensor... I hope so... It's not a "problem" for me but I think it worked better in previous models.