What's new

Introduction to OpenSSH

F1r3ant

Reaction score
For those of you not familar with the jailbreaking scene, openssh is a cydia package that allows you to gain access to your iPhone's filesysytem, the same way you currently have access to your computers. This can be used to modify applications, set custom voicemails, and many other things. What follows is a tutorial of how to use OpenSSH

What You'll need:
  • Jailbroken iOS device
  • OpenSSH
  • WinScp

1. Jailbreak your iOS device by visiting jailbreakme.com
    aTPNE6RPX1HqxAmwqZANPQzJp_6WT0z4VKP7ZGtwl8U
  2. Go to Cydia and search for OpenSSH
    IPhone02
  3. Install OpenSSH
    OjXFuOPo10P4U-PaCXs-rAzJp_6WT0z4VKP7ZGtwl8U
  4. On Your iPhone go to settings-wifi-and the blue arrow next to your connection
  5. Write down your IP Address
    IPhone02
  6. On your computer download WinScp from WinSCP.com
  7. In WinScp choose new
  8. HostName= iPhone IP address
  9. username=root
  10. password=alpine
    idnW4fDlBon7N6lqy2_8hQzJp_6WT0z4VKP7ZGtwl8U
  11. choose save
  12. click on the entry you just created and click login
Notes:
The first few times, it may not let you login, this is normal, just keep trying to reconnect until it does
Your iOS device and your computer must be on the same wifi network

Last edited:
thanks i'll try it as soon as i get my iphone :)

dont forget to download Terminal to change that default password to be more secure

got it to work. does anyone know where i can go to download some themes? i noticed the ones on cydia arent free.

what are we coming to when even cydia charges for apps... cydia should be all free.

but last time i checked cydia had tones of free themes. but saying that last time i used cydia was with 3.0.1

They used to have a lot of free ones, but most of them are gone now and the free ones dont look good at all

dont forget to download Terminal to change that default password to be more secure

If you have jailbroken an iOS 4 device then terminal wont work for you, unless you read my post here
Shameless self promotion FTW!

I am a total jailbreak noon and I managed to figure this all out in an hour or so last night. There is a new mobile terminal that you have to download on pc, not sure if that was mentioned but that's what i had to do and it works great. Now I am having a problem with either dtunes or the torrent client which google was no help on...

I keep trying to do this and it keeps saying that the connection failed and tries to reconnect?

yeah i just used limera1n today and it's not working for me either.