What's new

Introduction to App Modding

F1r3ant

Reaction score
For those of you new to SSH, please read my article here for an introduction.
This guide will serve as a jumping off point to those of you interested in changing applications, both from the app store and from cydia.
SSH allows users to access the internal files of an iPhone and as such, allows us to customize the software to best suite our needs/wants. This tutorial will be focusing only on the application arena, but any of the tips/tricks used here can be applied in regards to all things SSH.
  • What You'll Need:
    Jailbroken iOS device
    AppSync
    OpenSSH
    WinScp
1. AppSync is a package that is provide by Hackulous of Install0us fame. AppSync allows for the sync of pirated apps, but it also allows for the syncing of modified legitimate apps through iTunes. For example, if I download doodlejump through the app store, and then decided i wanted to change the background, that can only work with app sync installed. App Sync can be found in the Hackulous repisitory at "cydia.hackulo.us" Download the package that applies to your firmware
2d0bcr6.png

2. SSH into your iOS device through WinSCP
35i5abl.jpg

3. Applications downloaded through the app store are located at /private/var/mobile/Applications
uwpjs.jpg

Applications on the phone by default and installed through cydia are found at /private/var/stash/Applications
vno5du.jpg

4. The most important part of modding is to expirement and explore, but make sure you are either backing things up, just in case you mess something up.
Ive attached a few images of a modded doodle jump game, as an example

Note: The reason I have no service is that I work in a basement, not AT&T, although I do recommend the 3G Micro Cell.

Attachments

• $photo (1).jpg
    $photo (1).jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 636
  • $photo (2).jpg
    $photo (2).jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 640
Last edited:
Great article... Appreciate you putting that up. That's a little to much for me now but good to know where it's at when I'm ready.

Just themed a part of osu, a rhythm game from cydia

Default.png

Icon.png

icon

comboburst.png

combo girl

ee96e973.jpg

Menu screen

4a99ec30.jpg

what the icon looks like on the homescreen

03cd1f98.jpg

custom osu background and top border.

This is pretty fun :D

Just themed a part of osu, a rhythm game from Cydia

Awesome, I hope this post helps people get started. Another cool thing to mod are themes. They are located @ /private/var/stash/Themes.whatever/
I always hate having holes in my themes where the developer didn't make an icon, so i just borrow an icon from an app I don't have installed, and rename it for one I do have installed. Check attached picture to see what I mean

Attachments

• $photo (5).jpg
    $photo (5).jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 639
  • $photo (6).jpg
    $photo (6).jpg
    13 KB · Views: 626
Last edited:
Just themed a part of osu, a rhythm game from Cydia

Awesome, I hope this post helps people get started. Another cool thing to mod are themes. They are located @ /private/var/stash/Themes.whatever/
I always hate having holes in my themes where the developer didn't make an icon, so i just borrow an icon from an app I don't have installed, and rename it for one I do have installed. Check attached picture to see what I mean

This is exactly what I always do haha.