What's new

Interesting iOS 5.0.1 Beta Discovery

Blurayfan

Reaction score
If updating from a working 5.0 install to 5.0.1 Beta UDID registration is not required.

When doing a clean install (Restore) to 5.0.1 Beta UDID registration is required.

If updating from a working 5.0 install to 5.0.1 Beta UDID registration is not required.

When doing a clean install (Restore) to 5.0.1 Beta UDID registration is required.

Isn't that just semantics?

The first one is relying on your phone to have the iOS provisioning profile loaded.

The second is relying on your phone to create the iOS provisioning profile.

Skull One said:
Isn't that just semantics?

The first one is relying on your phone to have the iOS provisioning profile loaded.

The second is relying on your phone to create the iOS provisioning profile.

In the testing I did last night the second one iTunes allowed the restore, but after the restore was complete iTunes displayed a message. Unable to complete activation, If you are a developer please register your device. The device was completely unusable it would just display the setup screen and go through the activation process which failed again.

Correcting the second required putting the device in recovery mode then restore with 5.0 and follow the first procedure and the device is fully working with 5.0.1.

Doing the first procedure from the start was a successful update with a fully activated device when done.

Last edited:
In the testing I did last night the second one iTunes allowed the restore, but after the restore was complete iTunes displayed a message. Unable to complete activation, If you are a developer please register your device. The device was completely unusable it would just display the setup screen and go through the activation process which failed again.

Correcting the second required putting the device in recovery mode then restore with 5.0 and follow the first procedure and the device is fully working with 5.0.1.

Doing the first procedure from the start was a successful update with a fully activated device when done.

Ah I see the perception issue now.

You do not "have to" put the iPhone into DFU mode to recover from that issue. You can simply hook the phone up to XCode which will launch the Developer Device Manager. You simply click on one button in the Device Manager program and it will place the proper "provisioning profile" on the device.

Now yes, you do have to have a OSX based PC and yes you have to have a 4.6GB XCode install already in place but that is what a "developer account" is supposed to have at all times anyway.

And yes I can confirm what I just laid out because I forgot I had deleted my "iOS provisioning profile" two weeks before the beta was released and after installing 5.0.1 beta 1 I was locked out. Gave me a nice mini heart attack at midnight. Thankfully, my iMac was next to me and I simply connected it to re-provision it.

Skull One said:
Ah I see the perception issue now.

You do not "have to" put the iPhone into DFU mode to recover from that issue. You can simply hook the phone up to XCode which will launch the Developer Device Manager. You simply click on one button in the Device Manager program and it will place the proper "provisioning profile" on the device.

Now yes, you do have to have a OSX based PC and yes you have to have a 4.6GB XCode install already in place but that is what a "developer account" is supposed to have at all times anyway.

And yes I can confirm what I just laid out because I forgot I had deleted my "iOS provisioning profile" two weeks before the beta was released and after installing 5.0.1 beta 1 I was locked out. Gave me a nice mini heart attack at midnight. Thankfully, my iMac was next to me and I simply connected it to re-provision it.

The procedures listed here were to help those users who are not developers or have their device authorized by a developer account get a working device while running the 5.0.1 Beta which is what I did in my test.

The procedures listed here were to help those users who are not developers or have their device authorized by a developer account get a working device while running the 5.0.1 Beta which is what I did in my test.

Non-developers shouldn't be using this beta. Especially after seen the differences between beta 1 and 2 so far.

Non-developers shouldn't be using this beta. Especially after seen the differences between beta 1 and 2 so far.
I agree Non-Developers shouldn't be running the Beta, however there are those who do want to try 5.0.1 even with the risks involved to see if the issues in 5.0 GM are resolved.

For instance I'm pleased the email push issue I was experiencing is resolved.

I agree Non-Developers shouldn't be running the Beta, however there are those who do want to try 5.0.1 even with the risks involved to see if the issues in 5.0 GM are resolved.

For instance I'm pleased the email push issue I was experiencing is resolved.

Interesting. The push issue was not even mentioned in the list of addressed items that one of the moderators posted earlier today. Would they really be fixing things without even making mention of it?

DaveM said:
Interesting. The push issue was not even mentioned in the list of addressed items that one of the moderators posted earlier today. Would they really be fixing things without even making mention of it?

I don't know, maybe the push issue was linked with another issue that was listed. Correcting that one results in also fixing this one.

I just received the pushed email about your post.