What's new

In-Flight Phone-Call Ban to Continue

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
in flight phone call ban set to continue.JPG

Ars Technica reports that it doesn’t look like you’ll be able to make cell phone calls during a flight for the foreseeable future. It seems that the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is set to throw out a 2013 proposal to allow passengers to make calls on their cell phones during flights.

Making an in-flight cell phone call was banned in 1991 due to fears of interference with wireless networks on the ground. This is no longer an issue, thanks to the many technological advances that have been made in the field in the meantime, but the ban is set to stay due to concerns about in-flight calls disturbing passengers in the same way that they do on a train journey.

FCC chairman Ajit Pai has therefore made the proposal that the FCC stop trying to lift the ban.

“I stand with airline pilots, flight attendants, and America’s flying public against the FCC’s ill-conceived 2013 plan to allow people to make cell phone calls on planes,” said Pai. “I do not believe that moving forward with this plan is in the public interest. Taking it off the table permanently will be a victory for Americans across the country who, like me, value a moment of quiet at 30,000 feet.”

Cell phone use continues to be permitted for other purposes in-flight, including texting, Internet use, and playing games.

Source: Airplane cell phone calls won’t be allowed in US any time soon

It's a good and valid ban. Can you imagine a few hours in the midst of a dozen simultaneous conversations? That would be hell. Are we so tied to our phones that we cannot spend a bit of time in a face to face conversation, with a book, in thought or silence? I hope that phone calls will be forever be banned. Put the phone in silent mode and text if you must.