What's new

Importing music to itunes

Crxx

Reaction score
I have a portable hard drive with my music collection stored on it. My question is how do I go about importing the music into iTunes without having to put it on disc first? Is this possible?

I have a portable hard drive with my music collection stored on it. My question is how do I go about importing the music into iTunes without having to put it on disc first? Is this possible?

Assuming you have a pc (or mac)
Connect the portable to your pc
Run iTunes
Select,Edit > Preferences > Advanced
Check (tick) Keep iTunes Media Folder Organised
Check Copy Files ....etc (Unless you want to use the portable as your iTunes Media location)
Click ok
Select, File > Add Folder To Library
This will bring up a navigation box where you can select the folder(s) on your portable
Let iTunes do its thing
Depending on the size of your collection it may be quick but usually takes a while

Assuming you have a pc (or mac)
Connect the portable to your pc OK
Run iTunes OK
Select,Edit > Preferences > Advanced OK
Check (tick) Keep iTunes Media Folder Organised OK
Check Copy Files ....etc (Unless you want to use the portable as your iTunes Media location)
Click ok OK
Select, File > Add Folder To Library OK
This will bring up a navigation box where you can select the folder(s) on your portable SELECTED ALL

Hello dbplumd,
I followed all of your instructions but nothing happened.
Musics were not imported either to my iP4, or to C:\Users\Me\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media on my laptop.
Don't know what I did wrong.

Thanks, anyway.

Regards,
Flores

Last edited:
Hello dbplumd,
I followed all of your instructions but nothing happened.
Musics were not imported either to my iP4, or to C:\Users\Me\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media on my laptop.
Don't know what I did wrong.

Thanks, anyway.

Regards,
Flores

Open up iTunes with the iOS device that you're looking to sync the music/content to. Click on the the device's name on the left sidebar to open up the device's profile page. Then scroll to the bottom, and tick the box next to "Manually Manage Music and Videos", and apply the changes.

If you're using a portable HDD like OP, you can select the songs you want, and simply drag & drop them onto your device and they'll sync over. This takes out iTunes syncing as an equation, particularly if the media is stored on hardware that may or may not be readily available at all times, so you won't have to remove the songs that are not present on another terminal that's not your usual terminal and such.

Hi willerz2,

Thanks for your help.
Will let you know if it worked.

Cheers,
Flores