What's new

iMessage having major problems

imessageproblems

Reaction score
I have recently had problems with iMessage not working on my phone. I have an iPhone 4.

Yesterday I was trying to message someone with iMessage. Their texts to me were being sent as iMessages, however mine were only being sent as text messages after the phone attempted to send an iMessage. The problem continued today, so I turned off Wi-Fi, turned off iMessage, then turned my phone off. I then turned my phone back on, and Wi-Fi and iMessage back on. However once I did this, iMessage ceased working whatsoever. When texting my contacts who have iPhones, it now just says text message, it doesn't even send it as an iMessage first. It says iMessage is on under settings, but it won't even attempt to send iMessages to any contacts. I'm hoping somebody here can help me get iMessage working again, cause this is very frustrating. Thank you!

I can see where this would be frustrating, as iMessage gives me fits from time to time. Have you tried performing a Hard Reset? It may seem the same as simply turning your iDevice off then back on. However, it clears little things out of your iPhone's cache that just a simple off/on doesn't. Hold your Home & Lock buttoms together for approximately 10 seconds... ignore the "swipe to power off"... then release both bottons when the Apple logo appears.

i have this problem sometimes too. it fixes it self most of the time but sometimes a hard reset is required

One thing you could try is this:
Settings/Messages/Send as SMS. TURN IT OFF.

Then do the reboot and try it. iMessage gives me horrors, not because it doesn't work, but because it always does for me on iPad and iPhone and I can't recreate the problems to help solve them.

Let us know if this one works please so we know whether it's good advice.

Hey guys, I did try a hard reset, which didn't seem to work. However I ended up doing a restore on the phone, and everything seems to being working fine so far. Thanks for the advice everyone!

a couple of people who i know are/were also having problems. i had a problem where the imessage would not work and be sent as a text. i hard reset the phone and still nothing. went into the facetime menu and signed in and out and it started to work. yes i said facetime menu