What's new

Image library/cache? Problems

dubbel123

Reaction score
Hello, so i have a little issue regarding my native Album app.

I was a got a bit lazy and didn't do my reseach before attempting to add pictures via iFunBox to my iPhone4 instead of synchronizing everything through itunes, thought I'd save some time since I don't really like the itunes interface.

Anyway, I added some wallpapers in what i thought was the Album folder, but since the images didn't appear after i added them, i obviously added them in the wrong folder, i probably i browsed some cache folder or similar because some of the images i already had stored was there. (I used search on *.jpg to locate the folder with images)

So the problem;
I deleted most of my pictures that I previously added (and didn't appear) plus a bunch of old pictures.
After that when browsed my Album i still had some of the pictures i deleted (in the Image library) and a additional folder i created inside my Album app (before my attempt of using iFunBox). And and I cant locate them on the file system to delete them.

When i open the pictures thumbnails in image library/folder - that i've supposedly deleted - the resolution looks really weird (smudged/low-res), and when i tap edit on the picture(s) i get kicked back to my homescreen.

So i probably just deleted the souce images and not whats cached/thumbnailed or whatever.

Sorry for my bad english :D I'm from sweden and it's 3 am, trying my best to explain myself. Any help is appreciated, i just want to clean up my album app, the camera roll works as usual and looks good, but now I'm stuck with a bunch of pictures that i dont even "have" anymore, very annoying since i like my iphone tidy.

Thanks in advance~/Alex

I haven't got so clear about your problem, but I think you can restore your iPhone 4, and then use itunes or leawo itransfer to manage your pictures.

Okay, well restoring is out of the option, It's jailbroken - if I want to restore i have to go up to 5.1 (and i want a untethered jb), im currently at 5.0.1, all i need to know where in the file system of the "Photos" :photos: - Application is located so i can delete the pictures/folder that won't dissapear. Thanks

dubbel123 said:
Okay, well restoring is out of the option, It's jailbroken - if I want to restore i have to go up to 5.1 (and i want a untethered jb), im currently at 5.0.1, all i need to know where in the file system of the "Photos" :photos: - Application is located so i can delete the pictures/folder that won't dissapear. Thanks

var/mobile/Media/DCIM.

var/mobile/Media/DCIM.

do you know if itunes generates thumbnails when you synchronize/adding pictures? i think i was in that folder and removed the files, but since they still exist and when opened they look really low-res. so i have a theory that they are thumbnails, but i might be wrong... gonna check out more thoroughly when i come home.

Last edited:
dubbel123 said:
do you know if itunes generates thumbnails when you synchronize/adding pictures? i think i was in that folder and removed the files, but since they still exist and when opened they look really low-res. so i have a theory that they are thumbnails, but i might be wrong... gonna check out more thoroughly when i come home.

I don't know. Im not sure what you mean by "generates thumbnails". They are pictures so I would assume it would depending on how the fils are viewed......

I don't know. Im not sure what you mean by "generates thumbnails". They are pictures so I would assume it would depending on how the fils are viewed......

Yep, but since they look so bad since i "deleted them" (no longer full-res) thats why i thought that it may be so...

Okay well the DCIM folder in /mobile/media contains pictures from my camera-roll, not images i added via itunes/ifunbox

Edit: Found some pictures i added via itunes recently; they are located in /media/photodata/metadata/DCIM/SYNCD though.

Edit2: Browsing the pictures on my iphone i noticed something funny, the pictures i deleted still appears as thumbnails but when i open them they are "gone" i get redirected to some newer pictures i added. Some still appear as "low-res" and opens up.

Last edited:
Yep, but since they look so bad since i "deleted them" (no longer full-res) thats why i thought that it may be so...

Okay well the DCIM folder in /mobile/media contains pictures from my camera-roll, not images i added via itunes/ifunbox

I really don't know what to tell ya here. I don't use iTunes for anything. Except to transfer my music to it...and 2 ringtones.

I use DropBox for pictures.

Just drag any picture on your computer to your Dropbox folder, and they will automatically show in the Dropbox app in your phone....then just save hem to the camera roll of you wish.

Impossible to mess that up. I avoid iTunes as much as possible.

Solved it, thanks for all the help, you may close this thread.

Last edited:
Solved it, thanks for all the help, you may close this thread.

Hi, i've same problem and spent more than a days to search the solution in google and trying. Would you share it here?
i still can't clean the thumbnails issue.

thanks.

I am having the same problem of thumbnails in photo library. Please tell me how to delete these thumbnails from my photo library?

Last edited:
copy the \var\mobile\media\photodata\thumbnails files using ifunbox to your computer just in case, then delete the files in the thumbnails folder, restart the ipad.

copy the \var\mobile\media\photodata\thumbnails files using ifunbox to your computer just in case, then delete the files in the thumbnails folder, restart the ipad.

Thank you so much for the suggestion... But I have solved this problem. Surprisingly that worked....