What's new

I'm trying to make my iPhone ping a web address every 10 minutes

stratowhammy

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new to this forum, but not entirely a n00b when it comes to hacking my iphone. I'm looking to shed my voice plan all together and use just google voice, and I think that I have come up with a fairly good solution (buy a t-mobile hotspot ... I got the sonic hotspot) and then have my iphone just wifi connect via that. I figure I'll just throw it in my bag when I leave, and when I'm home I'll be attached to my local network (so I basically will be online all the time). --- and my 3gs will be basically connected to a 4g network!

So I downloaded keepawake (or something like that) that keeps the wifi on even when it is on the lock screen, however, one of the things that the t-mobile hotspot does is go into a low power usage standby mode after 10 minutes of not being used - which is great for a hotspot, but bad if you want a constant connection that allows you to be online all the time in order to receive phone calls.

What I want to know is if there is something in a cydia repo somewhere that just sends a packet of data or pings a website every like 8 minutes, or 10 minutes (enough to keep the hotspot from going into standby). If anyone knows of such an app/hack, that would be great (or if anyone knows a regular old app store app that happens to phone home periodically.)

Interesting proposition. I assume you're off contract, correct?

to quote the royal tenanbaums "yes, very much so." I asked the dudes at the ATT store to just assign the device an ipad registration, or something like that, but they said they couldn't. i wound up getting t-mobile (its unlocked), but i found out (after the fact) that the band that the 3g runs on is not supported by them, so I only had edge on my phone... so i decided to go with this hotspot thing, it basically brings my monthly bill down to $30 /mo.

The worst thing that would happen (and its really not all that bad) is that I get some of my phone calls a little late and have to call people back (its annoying, but when you're working to scrape together a few dimes, the difference between $30 and $70 /mo means something.) I'd also really just love to screw 'em, its ridiculous that they can't sell me a 100 minute mo. plan or even better, no voice plan at all!