What's new

Is there a tweak to make your iPhone a wifi hotspot that will use wifi instead of 3G?

Ferrari

Reaction score
So basically, is there a way for me to connect my iPhone to a local WiFi and be able to make my phone a hotspot for using the WiFi and not the phones 3G.
Anyone know?

I basically want to make my iPhone a hotspot for all wireless devices, but I don't want to use data on my phone, just the wifi that the phone is connected to.

Wired or wireless. either way works

Ferrari said:
So basically, is there a way for me to connect my iPhone to a local WiFi and be able to make my phone a hotspot for using the WiFi and not the phones 3G.
Anyone know?

I basically want to make my iPhone a hotspot for all wireless devices, but I don't want to use data on my phone, just the wifi that the phone is connected to.

What you are asking pretty much makes no sense. That is okay tho. Let me explain.

If there is a wireless network, and wifi devices....you would not need your phone to connect the device to wifi, if the device already has wifi capabilities. This is what is called an oxymoron if you will.

Why make the wifi connection link from the router to your phone, to the wifi device, when you can link the router straight to the wifi device, without it linking to your phone first. Like I said....it makes no sense.

There is no way to make your phone a hot spot with wifi only. A 3G connection is needed to make your phone a hotspot.

What makes the phone a hotspot in the first place is the phones 3G connection...then the ability to use that 3G connection on other devices.

It is not possible to tether you iPhone to a device without using your data.

Anyone know?

afaik you can do that with tetherME

What you are asking pretty much makes no sense. That is okay tho. Let me explain.

If there is a wireless network, and wifi devices....you would not need your phone to connect the device to wifi, if the device already has wifi capabilities. This is what is called an oxymoron if you will.

Why make the wifi connection link from the router to your phone, to the wifi device, when you can link the router straight to the wifi device, without it linking to your phone first. Like I said....it makes no sense.

There is no way to make your phone a hot spot with wifi only. A 3G connection is needed to make your phone a hotspot.

What makes the phone a hotspot in the first place is the phones 3G connection...then the ability to use that 3G connection on other devices.

Friend of mine has his macbook hardwired to the internet, and he has the capability of making his macbook a wireless hotspot so that his dorm mates can get on xbox live and such (note there is no wifi in his dorm). This is essentially what I want to do except that I don't have a macbook and I can't hardwire internet into my iPhone.
I know this may sound very stupid to many of you since my laptop has wireless capabilities and it can get on WiFi and so does my phone. But I have my reasons why I want to connect my phone to the internet connection around campus, and connect my laptop to my iphone and let my iPhone sort of be the modem/router.

Ferrari said:
Friend of mine has his macbook hardwired to the internet, and he has the capability of making his macbook a wireless hotspot so that his dorm mates can get on xbox live and such (note there is no wifi in his dorm). This is essentially what I want to do except that I don't have a macbook and I can't hardwire internet into my iPhone.
I know this may sound very stupid to many of you since my laptop has wireless capabilities and it can get on WiFi and so does my phone. But I have my reasons why I want to connect my phone to the internet connection around campus, and connect my laptop to my iphone and let my iPhone sort of be the modem/router.

No, I understand exactly what you are saying....I really do.

However, it cannot be done.

No, I understand exactly what you are saying....I really do.

However, it cannot be done.

Ok gotcha. Well I read your first sentence, "What you are asking pretty much makes no sense." so I immediately thought I didn't make myself clear.
Thanks for the answer.

zig9449 said:

I suppose, if it were possible, he could place the phone at the edge of the existing wifi area and use the phone as a hotspot to extend the wifi radius. But that's all he would accomplish really. But, as you said, he would need 3G to create the wifi hotspot to begin with.

Last edited:
nathanheskett125 said:
Try using mywi. If your jailbroken. There is an option to share wifi as well as 3g

No. Only 3G

I've read over this entire post numerous times... and I'm still having trouble understanding. I see that the OP's friend has a MB "hard wired" to the internet and is able to hotspot his MP... that I can understand. However, why would you want to connect your iPhone to Wifi... then send out the same Wifi as a hotspot? Why not just connect the other devices to the same Wifi that your iPhone is connected to?

The current version of mywi has an option under wifi sharing on the main screen. It states it will do exactly what he's asking. Just make sure it is set to automatic. Here's a couple screen shots.

Attachments

• $image-3792132185.jpg
    $image-3792132185.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 660
  • $image-2614641465.jpg
    $image-2614641465.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 659
Thomasjtsi said:
I've read over this entire post numerous times... and I'm still having trouble understanding. I see that the OP's friend has a MB "hard wired" to the internet and is able to hotspot his MP... that I can understand. However, why would you want to connect your iPhone to Wifi... then send out the same Wifi as a hotspot? Why not just connect the other devices to the same Wifi that your iPhone is connected to?

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying.

The current version of mywi has an option under wifi sharing on the main screen. It states it will do exactly what he's asking. Just make sure it is set to automatic. Here's a couple screen shots.
Ok... after seeing the screenshots from MyWi that nathan has posted I do see where this could be beneficial. Say you have to pay for a Wifi connection for each device you're connecting. MyWi will allow you to share that connection w/ another device via Wifi, USB or BT.

I see I see....that's something I have never heard of. I wonder how well that works.