What's new

I'm having trouble restoring my iPhone 3GS (will not restore)

Treyes18

Reaction score
I'll go ahead and type everything that I did for those that want to help. I was running a jailbroken, and unlocked
version of iOS 4.3.3 before I attempted to upgrade to 5.0.1. I Recently got word of a jailbreak on 5.0.1 using
redsn0w and a Cydia package called "Corona".

1. I used redsn0w 0.9.10b3 to create a custom IPSW 5.0.1 to preserve my baseband for an unlock. I think I messed up when
the program asked me if my iPhone 3GS was a newer bootrom or an older bootrom. I used the guide provided in that dialog box to double check the bootrom that I had, and I clicked the "yes" button.

It stated:" to determine the bootrom model, look at your serial number under settings/general/about, and look at the first four digits. The last two digits of those four, states what week the iPhone was produced. If the iPhone was
produced before 42 weeks, it was an older bootrom."

2. I went ahead and used the custom IPSW to upgrade to the 5.0.1 firmware. It upgraded perfectly, and I went
through the process of setting up my Cydia.

3.I got my Cydia set up, and I downloaded the Corona package that would finish untethering my jailbreak. I went
ahead and turned off my iPhone, expecting the iPhone to reboot when i pushed the power button, but it didn't.

4. I figured that the package didn't work, so I used redsn0w again to reboot. It rebooted fine, and I reinstalled the
Corona package.

I put the iPhone in my pocket (in sleep mode) , and when I pulled the iPhone out, it wouldn't turn back on. I've been trying to restore ever since. I Know what I'm doing most of the time, and this has never happened to me. I will say that I have always used "new bootrom" versions of everything when I would restore, but I believed that my iPhone
was an "old bootrom" iPhone.

First off, bad idea to use Corona for untether, since redsn0w 0.9.10b3 does the untether itself. Corona has caused many problems and it is most likely the reason for your troubles. You were already untethered after running redsn0w and you went and installed Corona on top of that. (which was for tethered jailbreaks to become untethered)

Second, what is the status of your phone right now? If it is off and not turning on, try plugging it in, and holding down power/home buttons together until the phone comes on.

I've tried to hold the home and power buttons to do a forced restart, but it's always on a black screen. It doesn't
want to turn on.

It appears that the screen is off, but whenever I hold down the power and home buttons to force it to turn off, my
computer reads it as if it is in DFU mode.

Treyes18 said:
It appears that the screen is off, but whenever I hold down the power and home buttons to force it to turn off, my
computer reads it as if it is in DFU mode.

Ok you need to put it in PWNED DFU mode. Run redsn0w, extras, PWNED DFU and see if you can do that.

If not, since the pc reads it as being in DFU mode, try to restore with the custom ipsw you made