What's new

I'm an iPhone User Wannabe

Janknitz

Reaction score
I've been waiting and waiting for Verizon to FINALLY get the iPhone, but cannot justify the cost at the moment. It WILL happen soon, I hope. I have a perfectly good dinosaur (Palm Centro) that I have fully geeked out and use constantly, but I'm lusting after a new toy, of course.

Meanwhile, I'm contenting myself with putting apps on my wishlist, researching things like how to maximize the battery life, and deciding what accessories I want and how I can get them on a tight budget.

I use my phone in my work (a "high powered" profession with a lot of client contact and documentary work) and leisure. It's my third hand and my brain. I miss it when I take a shower :rolleyes: because that's about the only place I can't use it.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning a lot here.

I'm getting along pretty well with the research.

One thing that I'm looking at is an app that will allow me to open, read, and edit Microsoft Office Documents. I use Documents to Go on my Palm, but there seems to be a problem with the latest update to the Documents to Go iPhone app, so it is not working well on that platform (crashing too easily). I don't know if it's just a matter of waiting until they get a new update out to fix the bugs, or if I need to look at other sofware options?

I also looked at QuickOffice--it looks buggy as well. Any suggestions in that regard?

I need a new smartphone to be up and running fairly quickly, I don't want to have to fiddle around too much to do routine tasks.

I read a thread here about people's Top Ten Favorite apps--they all seemed entertainment oriented, rather than productivity oriented. Are there really people out there using the iPhone in a business environment? I have considered the Android phones, but it seems that there's so much more available on the iPhone platform. However, if the apps don't work . . .

Jank..... I understand your quest for productivity apps, and the like. One thing I miss with the iPhone is the inability for "speech to text." Unless I missed that boat, or app, or function on the iPhone4. I believe the Droid X (and the Samsung Fascinate) I once used could widely use speech to convert to text in many applications. This is not the case with iP4, again, unless I'm not seeing that somewhere.

gaz..... any ideas on this? Am I correct about the speech to text capability?

Welcome aboard Janknitz!

Dragon Dictation for speech to text and numerous app's both in apple store and cydia for speech to text. Many possibilities of iPhone with note's both taking and recording the speaker at same time which then can be transcribed later.

John T.

Plenty of speech to text apps in app store. I've tried dictation so see how well it worked. I don't think it liked the Scottish accent to much. Lol.

I dont know of any apps that edit Microsoft docs. but there are plenty of free apps that can read them. USB Disk is one good example...

Dragon Dictation for speech to text and numerous app's both in apple store and cydia for speech to text. Many possibilities of iPhone with note's both taking and recording the speaker at same time which then can be transcribed later.

John T.

Due to your note, I'm installing Dragon Dictation as I write this. Hope it lives up the the hype.

EWyatt, Dragon Dictation
DICTATION - OVERVIEW

OVERVIEW
HOW TO USE

Stay connected, even when you are “Hands- Busy” Dragon Dictation 2.0 is an easy-to-use voice recognition application powered by Dragon NaturallySpeaking that allows you to easily speak and instantly see your text content for everything from email messages to blog posts on your iPad™, iPhone™ or iPod touch™. In fact, it’s up to five (5) times faster than typing on the keyboard.

With Dragon Dictation 2.0, you can dictate status updates directly to your Social Networking applications (Facebook and Twitter), send text or email your friends, send notes and reminders to yourself … all using your voice. The new Dragon Dictation 2.0 also features multilingual capabilities, giving you the option to switch between a variety of languages.

So when you are on-the-go, turn talk into type with Dragon Dictation 2.0 – from short text messages to longer email messages, and
anything in between.

Dragon Dictation is a great speech to text application. My comment "Many possibilities of iPhone with note's both taking and recording the speaker at same time which then can be transcribed later." I didn't mean to imply that Dragon Dictation did that, what I meant was the iPhone's multi tasking abilities with being able to use the recorder and notes at the same time.

I have recorded with Dragon Dictation and used it as a transcriber.

I hope you do like Dragon Dictation.

John T.

Due to your note, I'm installing Dragon Dictation as I write this. Hope it lives up the the hype.

It's quite good. It has pretty good error correction when it picks up a wrong word. My only gripe is that it can be sluggish if you are on 3g. It hits an online DB for each conversion. Obviously otherwise the app would be much larger.

Other than that it's pretty good.