What's new

iCloud VS Computer

microsnook

Reaction score
Ok, well with all the big talk of iCloud, when I first set my device up, I used iCloud so I would have it all set up. I barely know how to work it and its all still new to me.

Well, my question is: Is there a difference between backing up on iCloud vs the comptuer? Would it be easier to do a restore from the computer or from iCloud?
I sync everything with my iPhone in iTunes, wouldnt it just be easier to do a backup in there, rather than with iCloud?

Fill me in please

Can't give you a definitive answer, but here's some thoughts on iCloud. iCloud is new and still buggy. Apple is still in that "It just works" mode and can't seem to write up a good tutorial on it, though there are several tutorials on other sites that cover the subject well. I would rather know that I am backed up to my computer, rather than trust iCloud to work when I need it most. If you are like some people and need to use 3G to backup to iCloud, your going to use up a lot of your data plan, and that can get expensive. My advice is to stick with the tried and true until we see more peoples experience with iCloud.

I think that convinced me more than anything!
So, with that said, I just plug into iTunes and then set back up to computer instead of iCloud? What does it back up exactly?
Will it back up my pictures, etc?

And how would I do a restore if I wanted to from the computer with the saved back ups?

Thanks!

Disable iCloud backup on the iPhone, then attach to iTunes and disable iCloud backup there, click backup to computer.. It appears to sync apps, then backs up your apps data files and pictures. the sync backups your apps. Watch out for Camera Roll backups, some people have trouble with that, not sure exactly why.

My desktop is my main or "sync" computer. But I noticed when I plugged in my 4S into my laptop and brought up iTunes, in looking at the phone data it gave two buttons: 1 to Backup or Sync with iCloud, which I did and
1 to Backup/Sync with the compuer you are hooked up to, which I presume is used when you sync the
phone to your "home" computer.

I did a IOS5 update to my bosses iPhone 4 when it came out. I set it to use iCloud for backup. Three weeks later he lost his phone. In a few days we replaced the lost one with a new 4s. Once the new 4s was activated and setup it started to restore from iCloud. It took awhile but everything was there. We were happy with it.

icloud computing is the distribution of processing as a assistance rather than a product, whereby provided sources, software, and information are provided to personal computer systems and other devices as a metered assistance over a system.