What's new

iCloud versus Google

macher

Reaction score
Hi I find that I use Google 'platform' things such as calendars, contacts and bookmarks etc than iCloud when I'm on adesk top or lap top. I don't want to be locked into iCloud. Google is more universal, almost everyone has gmail. I never use Safari when on a desk top or laptop and find often that I need my Safari bookmarks from my iPhone.

What are the easiest ways to 'google-ize' my iPhone compared to iCloud? Such as backing up bookmarks, photos etc?

I tried Google Chrome App and I like it better than Safari. But I ran into an instance where I wanted to share a you tube video via text message and I couldn't with Chrome. Another thing I didn't like about Chrome is YouTube vids don't open in the YouTube app, they open in m.youtube.com.

Last edited:
You can use Google Drive and other Google related products to give you more of a familiar feel. AFAIK, since the Youtube.app migrating into its own standalone app, nothing opens up via the Youtube.app anymore when you're coming from a browser unless you're jailbroken with a tweak.

You can use Google Drive and other Google related products to give you more of a familiar feel. AFAIK, since the Youtube.app migrating into its own standalone app, nothing opens up via the Youtube.app anymore when you're coming from a browser unless you're jailbroken with a tweak.

Actually in the Gmail stand alone app you tube opens up in the you tube app. When I in Chrome and I'm searching for info and there happens to be you tube videos and I click it doesn't open up in the you tube app but in m.youtube.com

The problem with the feel is when I use my desk top or laptop which I only use google stuff or Firefox. I never use safari even on my iMac and when I check calendars on my iMac I use Google cal.

Last edited:
Actually in the Gmail stand alone app you tube opens up in the you tube app. When I in Chrome and I'm searching for info and there happens to be you tube videos and I click it doesn't open up in the you tube app but in m.youtube.com

The problem with the feel is when I use my desk top or laptop which I only use google stuff or Firefox. I never use safari even on my iMac and when I check calendars on my iMac I use Google cal.
Chrome follows me wherever I'm at, but I have started using Safari and I'm liking it better. Like you, I never used Safari on my Macbook Pro. When I got my iPads, I immediately installed Chrome, and again with my iPhone I went with Chrome. Now, since I have all Apple, I've started using Safari more and I'm kinda diggin' it. Firefox can jump off a cliff.

As for YouTube, that's how it works on a mobile device such as an iPhone and iPad.

For Google Cal, there is a Google Calendar app, but since it doesn't update from our Exchange Server (you have to import into Google Cal from an Exchange Server every few weeks), I don't use Google Cal. I find the Apple calendar works just fine.

AFAIK, since the Youtube.app migrating into its own standalone app, nothing opens up via the Youtube.app anymore when you're coming from a browser unless you're jailbroken with a tweak.

Ehhh ?

I never Jb'd any of my iPhone.
And even right now before posting this.
I did a Google search for "Rossi".
There was the video link.
I tap on it and all the time it open up in YouTube App only. :)

@macher
I'm sure you already have the YouTube app from AppStore ?

Open it
On left top, click on those 3 lines. That's a button.
Then Tap on Settings.
And the second Option in Settings is "Open Links With Chrome".
Switch it to Yes, if its NO by default.

Posted from my iPhone via Tapa ! 📲

Ehhh ?

I never Jb'd any of my iPhone.
And even right now before posting this.
I did a Google search for "Rossi".
There was the video link.
I tap on it and all the time it open up in YouTube App only. :)

@macher
I'm sure you already have the YouTube app from AppStore ?

Open it
On left top, click on those 3 lines. That's a button.
Then Tap on Settings.
And the second Option in Settings is "Open Links With Chrome".
Switch it to Yes, if its NO by default.

Doesn't work. Example when I do a search in Chrome 'how to tie a tie' and there are you tube videos and I click on a you tube video it doesn't open up in the YouTube app, it opens up in m.youtube.com

When I do the same search in Safari and click on a you tube vid it opens up in the You Tube app.

Even after the settings as I mentioned ??

8m59.png

Last edited:
Well, I just installed chrome to check it out and yes it's not happening.

Sorry for the trouble.

Guess you have to adapt Apple and its way of using Apple now ;)

Well, I just installed chrome to check it out and yes it's not happening.

Sorry for the trouble.

Guess you have to adapt Apple and its way of using Apple now ;)

Weird that in the Gmail app if a you tube video is in a link then it will open in the YouTube app.