What's new

iCloud backup questions (Fresh iOS install)

mskfahim

Reaction score
Hi,

I'd like to know if it's possible to back up my notes,safari,etc with iClouds and do a fresh install of iOS and then just synch the notes/safari/etc from iCloud? I don't want iCloud to back up the iOS too as I suspect that my iOS might be corrupt/requiring a fresh install.

Thanks

A backup will not install another (possibly corrupt) copy of the iOS version, it will just restore the data on your iPad.

A backup will not install another (possibly corrupt) copy of the iOS version, it will just restore the data on your iPad.

* iPhone

iCloud on my phone says "The last backup could not be completed"
I went to iTunes and used the iCloud back up option from there. I saw the progress bar on top go from zero to 100 and it completed. However, it still says there "Your iPhone has never been backed up to iTunes". It's interesting to note that right underneath that, it says "Today PRESENT DATE AND TIME".

itunes gives me option for iCloud and manually backing up on my PC. I chose the iCloud one and then clicked on the "Back up now" butting.

As long as you're connected to iTunes on your computer you could also do a backup through iTunes. Restoring from an iTunes backup is faster than using an iCloud backup as transferring iTunes content and app data back to your iPhone during the restore is much faster through iTunes than through iCloud.

As long as you're connected to iTunes on your computer you could also do a backup through iTunes. Restoring from an iTunes backup is faster than using an iCloud backup as transferring iTunes content and app data back to your iPhone during the restore is much faster through iTunes than through iCloud.

But I don't want itunes to reinstall faulty-buggy-error on my phone. What I am planning on doing is this:

1. Back up photos/videos : DONE
2. Back up app data for selected apps(StrongLifts/WhatsApp/etc) : DONE
3. Back up NOTES/Text messages/ Contacts/ Reminders/Safari/etc: IMPOSSIBLE OF A TASK
4. Do a DFU/Factory reset and clean iOS install of the phone.
5. Load the media/app data/ contacts/notes/texts/etc back onto the phone.

That step 3 is not letting me proceed. I'm afraid that the regular itunes backup option will essentially clone my phone's present conditions and write that back onto the new empty hard drive. In that case, if there is some error in the OS files or anything, that will come back to the new one. Do you know if there is a way to manually check if iCloud back up has been actually saved somewhere on my PC? If I view my iCloud settings on the phone, it only shows the WhatsApp backup that I did manually from whatsapp. It's funny how a 3rd party app can back up stuff on iCloud but both the phone and iTunes fails.

If the iOS version on your iPhone is corrupt, that corrupt iOS version is not part of the backup. When restoring from a backup, the iOS version is restored directly from Apple servers, not from the stored backup, which is why you need an active internet connection to restore from a backup. iCloud backups are stored in iCloud, not on your computer. Only iTunes backups are stored on your computer.

Text messages and MMS are automatically included in a backup to iCloud.
Notes, Safari bookmarks and Contacts are stored in iCloud, that's why they are not backed up. Just login to www.icloud.com, and make sure everything is there, before you proceed.

Text messages and MMS are automatically included in a backup to iCloud.
Notes, Safari bookmarks and Contacts are stored in iCloud, that's why they are not backed up. Just login to www.icloud.com, and make sure everything is there, before you proceed.

logged in and found the contacts already in there. Didn't see anything to check the texts or anything. Checked the notes and it was empty. I won't do a fresh install without at least backing up those notes. They are important.

To make the iCloud backup work, I tried resetting my network settings too. Made no difference. Of course I tried reboot too without any success.

You can't find the messages or Safari Bookmarks in iCloud online. Messages are in the backup, which can't be accessed this way.

Are your notes stored on the iPhone only? If so, you'll have to transfer them to the iCloud (online) notes.

You can't find the messages or Safari Bookmarks in iCloud online. Messages are in the backup, which can't be accessed this way.

Are your notes stored on the iPhone only? If so, you'll have to transfer them to the iCloud (online) notes.

I just discovered that you can go to NOTES on your phone and manually move all the notes (not copy) to iCloud. Tested online and they do show up online. :D

Since icloud is already showing me my contacts and now notes, couldn't I set up my phone as new and just download the notes from cloud and contacts from cloud? Is that simple thing? I have never tried to sync contacts with cloud before. I can forget safari and text messages for now as long as I have my notes.

I just discovered that you can go to NOTES on your phone and manually move all the notes (not copy) to iCloud. Tested online and they do show up online. :D

Since icloud is already showing me my contacts and now notes, couldn't I set up my phone as new and just download the notes from cloud and contacts from cloud? Is that simple thing? I have never tried to sync contacts with cloud before. I can forget safari and text messages for now as long as I have my notes.
You could do that but it's a lot simpler to restore from a backup, where it's all done automatically.

When you set up the iCloud account on your iPhone after erasing everything, notes and contacts will automatically reappear, as well as Safari bookmarks.

Good day everyone! My name is Lawrence Cris Joy. I am an iphone user for 5 years. I have so many bugs on icloud..how can i fix the find my iphone app?
Welcome to iPhoneForums, Lawrence Cris Joy!

Please describe more exactly which problems you have to face on iCloud, and why you need to fix the Find iPhone app, so that it's possible to help with your issues.