What's new

i phone 3GS "erase all content and settings" problem

Ferry Hibby

Reaction score
I have tried to "erase all content and settings" on an I Phone 3GS going through the normal route - Setttings/General/Reset etc but the phone is just sitting showing the Apple logo on black screen for
the past five hours. To add to the problem somebody very kindly unplugged the phone and it went
flat and turned itself off.
How can i get phone operating sytem back???

Recharge it for for a few hours. Restart it plugged in. If not try a factory reset. You are backed up, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just put of interest, how long did a charge last before your battery recharge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will need to charge the phone until the Apple symbol appears again.

If is still stuck on the Apple symbol then we will have to restore the phone. Do you know if you have a backup?

To restore the phone you will need to use iTunes on a computer.

Make sure iTunes is up to date, plug the iPhone into the computer using the USB cable, then hold both the power button and the home button (on the front of the phone) for 8-10 seconds. Then let go of the power button but continue to hold the home button.

You will now get a message on iTunes saying that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode and that it must be restored. You click okay on this message and the press restore iPhone. This bit can take a bit of time.

This will take the phone back to factory settings but it should be working again. At this point we should be able to restore from a backup if you have one.